HELP, I NEED MORE POWER

Hi guys, Hoping someone can help me - Just bought a standard 1978 Diesel 109 SeriesIII. Wanting to rig a few lights here and there can anyone recommend an alternator that will bolt straight on so I can power the things? Planning a row of four across the top of the roof rack, four along the bumper, two rearward facing lamps and a rear fog light. Don't suppose an original shape V8 Vogue unit would fit would it? .

Cheers guys Jase

Reply to
Jason Seward

Hmm - you need 605W to drive that lot at once - more or less 55A from the alternator. Is the Series alternator not rated around this anyway?

The other idea could be to stick a second battery in and run off that on the basis you won't be running all lights all of the time.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Cheers Paul, appreciate the quick response - not sure about the rating on the exsisting one - will check. I'm a bit of a newbie at electrics and such I can only just manage a service:-) Indeed will not be running ALL at once but may have all my forwards on from time to time, planning a bank of toggle switches governed by a master so you can in essence pre select what you want then flick a switch when you need them.

Reply to
Jason Seward

"Paul S. Brown" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@snoopy.intra.geekstuff.me.uk:

Hiya again Paul Looking in owners handbook:- says 'Batt Cap 95 AH' and 'Charging circuit Alternator 16ACR' does that mean I'm good to go or not??? :-) cheers mate

Reply to
Jason Seward

Apparently the 16ACR is a 34A alternator. Not really good to go, no. You'll drain your battery in quicktime if you try it with that.

Back to looking for a bigger alternator. I'm afraid I can't think of anything to suggest.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:39:58 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

later range rovers (after about 1984, I expect) have 65A (A127/65) or 80A (A133/80) lucas. There are loads of Bosch ones; most of the sierras seem to be fitted with 'em. On the bosch ones they have the rating on a little coloured label.

earlier RRs have progressively smaller ones - round about 1980 they started having the lucas 20ACR/25ACR, which is 65A or so.

try such things as sierras; but note first which hand it is - with the 2 mounting bolt holes at 6 o'clock, the tensioner hole is either at 2 o'clock or at 10 o'clock, looking from the pulley end.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Arse, Bugger, Bum!

Cheers anyhoo, Paul :-)

Reply to
Jason Seward

I seem to recall the 'standard' Seris III alternator was 34A. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Cheers Austin you're a star:-)

...and he saw that the light was good.