Disco servicing costs

After a rough cost on diy servicing of a discovery, looking at a 1995

300tdi. assuming an annual mileage of 12000 a year.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

On or around Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:59:55 +0100, "Paul" enlightened us thusly:

2 oil changes, half a transmission oil change, one diesel filter, one air filter... Plus as many of the minor jobs as you care to do regularly.

depends where you go for the bits and the oils more'n anything else.

castrol, for example, will probably cost you about 14quid per change.

I've just noticed some rather suitable-looking oil in the local agricultural merchants, sold as tractor oil but meets the required specs, and costs about a quid a litre.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hello, Austin! You wrote on Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:06:59 +0100:

AS> I've just noticed some rather suitable-looking oil in the local AS> agricultural merchants, sold as tractor oil but meets the required AS> specs, and costs about a quid a litre.

Been using Agricastrol for years - If it's good enough for 18 hours non stop on a Combine a few hours on a motorway or up the high street is nowt

With best regards, Not so Clever Trevor.

Reply to
Not so Clever Trevor

Paul composed the following;:

I run a '97 300 Tdi between 15 and 20,000 miles a year and do my own servicing, which costs, for all filters, oils, greases roughly about £120 per year.

On average I change engine oil, air filter, oil filter and diesel filter three times, gearbox oil, diff oil and transfer box oil once a year. Brake, Power steering and Clutch fluids are changed every two years. Anything else is on an ad-hoc basis. For instance if we have a month where we do a couple of trials or 'playdays' and get _really_ dirty and muddy I might do an extra engine, diff and/or gearbox oil change etc. Play it by ear depending upon what work the vehicle does. If all we do is drive around then I run to normal service intervals or between 5 and 6k. If, like summer time, we tow the caravan every weekend and 'play' a bit I up the service intervals to 3k intervals.

I guess I probably do more services than someone who uses their Disco purely on-road as a car and probably less than someone who uses their Disco mostly off-road.

Reply to
Paul - xxx