Help please for a Suspension Query

Perhaps someone could offer some advice on the following. RR Classic with 200tdi

I decided to replace the rear shock absorbers and was gven a new pair of STC3941

I have since realised that these were for use without a rollbar. However I do have a rollbar and although they fit I was wondering would it be safe to use them. What would be the effect on handling if any? Or should I get the correct ones?

Any advice apreciated.

John

Reply to
Persheen

Don't worry! Just enjoy having working shockers for a change.

Reply to
Dougal

For vehicles with A.R.B up to V.I.N KA638829 use STC208.

For vehicles with or without A.R.B and V.I.N KA638830 to LA647644 use STC242.

For vehicles with A.R.B from V.I.N MA647645 onwards use STC2831.

There have been some changes here so I have given you the later part numbers, but as Dougal says any good shockers are better than bad ones. Dunno what STC3941s are off but I can look them up if you're interested

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Many thanks.

Apparently they were used on the RRC before the rollbar was introduced. The existing ones are going solid ie reluctant to travel in either direction. I will take the view that the STC3941 will be better but keep an eye on them.

Reply to
Persheen

Those all superceed to STC3939 - same as MA-on (300Tdi) Discovery I's

STC3941 are the pre-1985 rears with split-pin type top fixings.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yes, but they didn't fit a 200Tdi in 1985.

STC3941s would be ok for me though, especially as they were free! :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Sorry, I don't follow - the OP effectively asked what the ones he was supplied with were for, so I told him. Techically they are not correct for the vehicle, as Microcat only lists STC3939's for non air suspension 92 to 94 RRC's, superceeding the last published paper catalogue. Whether he fits them or not is up to him of course.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

No, the OP actually asked if they were safe to use and without having a chassis number to work with I gave him a correct list of the ones listed (not by Microcrap) for his model range so that he could make his own decision.

Tech(n)ically they are

( as I know, which is why I gave him the list FFS)

Martin

as Microcat only lists STC3939's for

Reply to
Oily

I appreciate the discussion and the technicalities but I should have been clearer.

It is a '74 chassis with the split pin mounts. BUT it has an anti rollbar

When the anti rollbar became standard STC3941 were changed and they are listed in my parts cat as for a chassis with no anti rollbar.

I was wondering what is the effect, if anything, of using these on a chassis with an anti rollbar mainly on road. Particularly if they would be unsafe in some way.

As I said I will try them and look out for handling problems.

Regards John

Reply to
Persheen

By all means look for handling problems but you won't find them. Most, if not all, of the shock absorber changes were minor tweaks to valving etc. to improve the ride in some obscure way or another. Obviously if you change springs/spring rates etc. the damping needs tweaking to restore the status quo. So, stick on an anti roll bar and it is felt there's a need to tweak the shocker.

I certainly don't feel that I'd pick up the minor changes in handling etc. that are only discernable when messing around at the limits of the performance envelope on a nice smooth test track.

Look at the way shockers are sold in the aftermarket - they don't have multiple variants like the OEMs. They get away quite happily with one unit that satisfactorily replaces several OEM parts and very few people will notice that it's a 'compromise' part.

It's a very similar situation to wheel bearings on this model and others where several new numbers have appeared making one think that you must have a particular one on a particular vehicle. Speak to the bearing manufacturer and you'll find out minor changes to the internal geometry for 'lower noise' and the like but nothing that stops them being physically interchanged. You and I wouldn't even notice any change in the noise level. Stick the original high volume standard manufacturer's bearing in your hub and you'll be none the wiser.

Before I get shot down, I'm not saying that there are no differences between the various OEM parts, just that in normal use you're not going to notice them. Different shockers from within the same model range in my experience fall into that category. It's probably more important that you fit identical units on both sides of the axle than anything else.

Reply to
Dougal

Ok, so you gave him a list of out-of-date part numbers, and from the information supplied, recommended he use the wrong ones.

I really do dispair........... some people just cannot be helped!

Reply to
beamendsltd

Correction, I gave him a list of numbers which were correct for the RRC

200Tdi model of '92 onwards, and as he said his was fitted with that engine I assumed that was the model he was referring to, not an older conversion, hence the chassis number requirement. If he had gone to any franchised dealer with those numbers they would have supplied him with the correct fitment from their automatically updated files. Now how did I recommend he use the wrong ones from that? It's quite a while since I was in this job and I couldn't access Microcat files without the dongle that only Landrover franchises had, and still can't. Incidentally, how do you manage to access Microcat as I don't think you are a franchised dealer, and, if you were, you shouldn't be selling the cheap parts that you advertise on here occasionally? I never sold other than OE parts.

Instead of returning with petty jibes when someone is genuinely trying to help why don't you come up with just the useful comments. Now go back from whence you came and curl up with a spelling book.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:26:50 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

hey come on now, guys, play nicely.

I've an idea that microcat was issued via a magazine or suchlike recently.

Sounds to me that you're both right, in different ways.

At the end of the day, I doubt it makes much odds unless the dampers are the wrong length or the wrong fitting. The vehicle is the same weight, and the springs of necessity somewhere near the same strength. Diesel ones have stiffer front springs, due to the heavier engine, but not a LOT stiffer. and pretty much any RR damper is going to be better, if new, than a shagged OE one. The OE ones are, after all, not noted for being top quality.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles" wrote...........

I am suitably reprimanded Austin :-), and yes, the above are likely to be very valid points

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:04:31 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

I should point out that the LDV convoy here has some pro-comp ES3000 (IIRC) sold for a series III on the front. They're the same length and by machining a suitable bush to fit the middle of the rubber bushes, they fit fine. I've no doubt they're not the same rates as the OE ones that are of lesser quality and twice the price. However, they're a lot better than OE ones that are worn out or leaking.

Reply to
Austin Shackles