Oh God - now I've shafted the Driveshaft... HELP! (Mondeo Grief!)

Evening All

Further to my post a few days ago about my attempts at changing Mark II Mondeo shock absorbers, I am now truly in a world of pain.

This weekend I changed the Driver's side shock absorber and coil spring. Shockingly, this spring also proved to be broken when I withdrew it from the car (again, the break was rusty - but it had sheared right at the top, so impossible to see, and the MOT tester missed it). The car passed, incidentally.

However, today's episode involved the use of a 'Hub Puller' which basically screws onto the threads of the studs, and allowed me to extract the knuckle and shock absorber as a complete assembly from the driveshaft. Unfortunately, in my infinite wisdom, I didn't quite manage to remember to disconnect the lower suspension arm (wishbone) balljoint first. Oh dear.

So there I am, happily driving the bolt of my nice new Hub Puller home. By the time I realised, it was too late - I had already forced the driveshaft in, rather than pulling the hub out. Ouch. I didn't think too much more about it until I reassembled everything with the new shock and spring, and took the car for a test drive.

'Whumpa, Whumpa, Whumpa' noise - increasing with road speed. I wanted to cry... The noise happens under load - and disappears when I come off the power. The more power that is applied, the louder the noise gets. Vibration is apparent through the steering and the pedals of the car - in fact it feels very disconcerting, although I'm sure it's not actually particularly dangerous.

:o(

So I *think* that I have damaged one or both of the CV joints on the O/S driveshaft (by driving the shaft into it inadvertantly, with the hub puller). My question is: Is this likely? I noticed that there was a fair amount of rotational slack in the driveshaft, and when I apply the handbrake and engage / release the clutch in gear, there is an audible 'clunk' from under the car, right from the area I was working on...

My money is on the O/S inner CV joint being shafted. Is this a difficult job? If my diagnosis is right, do I have to buy the CV joint separately, or can I just pay for a whole new driveshaft, and fit this as an assembly (including both the inner and outer CV joint, to same me some time and even more heartache?) If I can't buy the whole assembly, would it be wise to replace both CV joints on that side (inner and outer)

Any advice would be welcomed - I really don't want to waste any more weekends on this damn heap! Incidentally, this is a 1997 2.0 Ghia X.

Best,

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dempster

Hi all again!

I should have also pointed out that I managed to pull the inner CV joint apart when trying to separate the knuckle from the driveshaft(although the boot was still covering everything up OK) to the point that the driveshaft was free to turn. After a bit of cursing, I pushed the wee fella back together again.

Some referral to the Haynes Book of Lies indicates that this inner CV "Tripod Joint" is almost certainly the item that I have ****ed up! Perhaps I have knocked one or more of the bearings off the tripod? Anyhow, it is now SLACK and NOISY under load (a bit like me!!)

I am thinking that it is time for a recon driveshaft from Ford (if I can get it). P'rhaps about £140?

Mmmnngh!

Al.

Reply to
Alan Dempster

Just get a CV joint.

Reply to
Conor

Hi Conor (and rest of Group!),

Thanks for your reply. In hindsight, I now reckon that the damage is slightly different to what I first suspected.

I now think that when the inner CV joint came 'adrift', I have lost one

or more of the roller bearings from the tripod. Before today I had no idea how tripod joints work. Yesterday the tripod joint came apart on me (yet the boot held it together). I pushed it together, just assuming

that I was pushing a driveshaft into a splined connector.

Do you think that there's any chance of recovering the loose roller (which, I guess, will be embedded in the grease inside the boot) and simply 'popping it back into position'?

This would explain the clunk on taking up drive, the noise, the vibration etc. But, having driven on this CV joint with the roller loose - I suspect that I've now trashed the 'tulip' or the tripod anyway.

If I go down the route of inner CV joint replacement (=A3104) then I guess I will probably not manage to remove the tripod from the driveshaft.

If I replace the whole driveshaft, then my wallet will haemorrage to death (=A3278).=20

I wish I'd left this sodding job alone !!=20

:o)

Reply to
Mean Al

It's unlikely you've lost a roller bearing out the tripod joint. In order for the bearings to fall out, one of the actual rollers has to fall off (unlikely if the CV boot is still on), and you most likely wouldn't get the tripod pushed back into the socket if it had.

Going by your original post, I'd hazard a guess it's the outside CV joint that you've broken. As it's unlikely that an inside CV joint could be felt through the steering.

Personally, I'd just get a reconditioned drive shaft from a motor factors. It'll be far cheaper than one from Ford.

***
Reply to
M Cuthill

Now you know why professionals charge for doing the job.

In your case I would pull the inner joint to bits and have a look, you have nothing to lose. I suspect that it is scrap, but have a look anyway. I had one fall apart on a fiat once, but I put it back together before driving and it was fine.

Quickest, safest option is a drive shaft from a motor factors (non original)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Well, I must admit, I'm coming round to the idea of getting an aftermarket shaft. I've never been a fan of fitting non-Ford parts, but at £150-odd (less 25 quid rebate) for a recon shaft from a motor factors, or £278 for the same (exchange / recon) shaft from Ford, I think I know what I'm gonna do. Incidentally, this will be the first non-OEM part that I've ever fitted to this car. Sad, in a way - it signals the end...!

Camberley Auto Factors sell 'Driveline' components - any comments on this manufacturer?

Anyhow, I think I'll go for one of these:

w ABS 44 2.0 Manual 8/96 9/00 FT FO840A 129.70 25.00 FO841A 129.70

25.00

...just bang it on, and see what happens. Guessing that it doesn't include the intermediate shaft, so hopefully won't have to prat around draining gearbox oil. Fingers crossed, and we'll see what happens!

Thanks to all for their advice - next episode coming soon - at the weekend!

Cheers

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dempster

No. Try Bedford Battery if you're in their area (Camberley? wouldn't know) or Euro Car Parts.

Reply to
Nick Dobb