Help for a novice please re gearbox / clutch

Ho bought a volvo s40 3 yr old only 20k miles, drivng it was fine then all of a sudden I couldn't get 4th gear. Near home and parked up and found I could only get reverse and 1 2 and 3. Took it for another spin and hey all was fine every gear change smooth as silk, a few miles later coming back home it would not go to into 4th again and then would not go into 3rd, just 1st & 2nd & reverse, then decided it would go back into 3rd but not 4th or 5th.

What is the problem? Is it gearbox or clutch problem.

Thanks for any help.

John

Reply to
jvmcdonald

Sounds like the linkage between the gearstick and gearbox either needs adjusting or fixing. Much cheaper than a new gearbox or clutch.

Reply to
Tony Bond

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk saying something like:

Who is Ho?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Perhaps he's talking about his girlfriend/wife?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot