idle speed

How do I raise the idle speed of my Discovery 3.9 (1995)? The reason I ask is that manouvering at low speeds it feels like its going to stall and the idle speed is very low (about 500rpm). Also when pulling away it feels like it will stall until a bit more throttle is applied. Thanks Richard

Reply to
Richard

I have developed the ability to keep my heel on the brake and toe on the accelerator, it is useful for knackered old engines.

Reply to
Larry

On or around Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:57:44 GMT, "Richard" enlightened us thusly:

basic idle speed has an adjuster on the throttle body, ISTR. Though you might check if the idle speed thingywotsit is working.

also worth checking the fuel emissions, that it's correctly tuned, for which there's an adjuster on the AFM. You'll want to make sure the air filter has been changed first, I should think, unless you know it's been serviced correctly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Also useful fur double de-clutching while braking, even the Rangie benefits from this every now and again.

Nick

Reply to
Nicknelsonleeds

On or around 30 Jun 2004 04:52:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Nicknelsonleeds) enlightened us thusly:

must have shagged synchromesh then...:-)

the only need for DDC is really on a non-synchro box. You can in fact use it (with some practice) for changing down to low range on the move.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not completely, but well on the way out.

Quite, I took (and passed) my driving test in a series 2. I still DDC (particularly changing down) even with non shagged synchro boxes. It's a habit which does no harm.

Nick

Reply to
Nicknelsonleeds

And may even do some good - it tends to smoother changes with less wear and tear on everything except your clutch. JD (110,2a)

Reply to
JD

On or around 30 Jun 2004 17:34:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Nicknelsonleeds) enlightened us thusly:

wears the clutch release out :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 01 Jul 2004 06:50:25 +1000, JD enlightened us thusly:

mind, some discos are noted for a weak clutch release arm...

Reply to
Austin Shackles