Intercooler on a TD - should i bother?

I've just acquired a 200Tdi intercooler - rumour has it that it's a useful addition to a TD engine - has anyone got any first hand experience of doing this and if it's worth the effort?

Reply to
Sean

Yes, as they tend to go pop if driven hard sans intercooler- the engine was never designed to be turbo'd originally...

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Like anything mechanical if the TD engine isnt looked after it will break - mine has done over 140K now and there's plenty of life in it.

I was hoping for some input from someone who has actually done this and driven the vehicle rather than an inaccurate generalisation on the merits of the TD.

Reply to
Sean

An intercooler is going to benefit your performance, but the 200TDI was underrated for the 200Tdi, and you might not get that much of a boost.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:00:12 +0100, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

Given that the TD is known for piston problems, I doubt you stand to lose anything from fitting an intercooler. The tranny Di engines are rated at

70PS[1] N/A, 85PS turbo, and 100PS turbo-intercooled, by way of comparison; presumably, they remap it for intercooled turbo. [1] I'd like this to stand for Pfërde-Scheiße, but it doesn't, sadly.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

I think you will find that yours is the exception rather then the rule and that the original poster was spot on with his generalisation.

You have nothing to loose by plumbing it in and seeing the results for your self. A cooler charge can only help. You must be able to notice the power increase when you drive on a cool damp day against a hot dry one.

But my advice is to never invest too much time or cash in a TD engine ;-)

Good luck

Reply to
Marc Draper

Well said!