interesting symptom...

Hi, whilst on the hunt for a definite cause for my 200tdi rangerover's awfull smoking startup problem, I had just done the valve clearances and thought I'd start it and listen again...started quickly and I didn't give it any throttle so it was realy rough...cracked each injector in turn to see if one made any difference (air etc), none did it was still rough...I felt carefully around the back of the head to see if I could feel a blown gasket but nope...whilst I had my hand near the manifold I realised that no. 4 branch of the manifold was not warm like the rest! Never read about this check in any manual...I wonder if this points to an injector problem? After some minutes and some throttle things get smoother but still smokey. As it's our only working motor I cant take it out of service for long hence the laborious rate of progress...I'm sure we'll get there though Steve;)

Reply to
steve

Number 4 glow plug not working - thus no combustion when cold leading to smoke and rough running?

Reply to
EMB

ah but I just put a new set of shiny unipart ones in (very carefully so's not to break them) 2 days ago since which I've been able to start it again without cranking the battery flat first...so I tend to think it's not that, thanks anyhow EMB Steve

Reply to
steve

I'll try that tomorrow...any idea if copper washers in injector holes are the same size as series ones? Steve

Reply to
steve

You could try swapping 2 injectors round and see if the problem moves with it? Perhaps one of the injectors just doesnt work very well or too well and is causing your smoke?

Reply to
Tom Woods

While you're at it, test the supply lead to make sure that is low resistance too, or swap one lead round, or something. Right now you don't know if the power supply to the glowplug is dud or not.

Reply to
Dan Holdsworth

Steve Have you checked the CC for pressurisation? unscrew the oil filler with the engine running. If it nearly takes your head off, you probable have a head gasket gone!

Mike

Reply to
Roverdrive

today I took the injector for no.4 out for a look the tip was very wet and crusted with sooty crud which I cleaned off carefully with a fingernail, not having new washer I annealled the old one and reused it. On a test drive its chuffing blueish smoke clouds and feels "not right" but that manifold branch gets hot at the same rate as the rest now. In earlier posts I've said about oil level rising due to long periods cranking to start, solved with new gloplugs, but letting diesel into sump via bores. PDannyD mentioned the poor lubricatingness of oil/diesel mix and hinted at rapid wear of things like valve guides (why them in particular?) Increasing blue in smoke makes me think it may be them. Crankcase pressure is ok and inside of intercooler is not too dirty either, I'm not keen on taking of the head for a look as taking vehicle out of action is quite serious for us so if I/we can come up with other stuff to check first... cheers folks hope you can help me ....more, Steve

Reply to
steve