Larger brakes (rotors and calipers) for D90/110/RaRoClassic/Disco 1?

People Hi,

Does anyone know of any makers of brake upgrades for the D90/110, RaRo Classic and Disco 1? I am mainly interested for larger diameter rotors and bigger calipers.

Drilled, vented or grooved standard sized rotors exist but I am looking for something of a larger diameter but still able to fit behind the standard 16' rims.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

In message , Pantelis Giamarellos writes

Why bigger diameter, pose value?

Reply to
AndyG

Whilst bigger discs are the best way forward it is unfortunately too expensive a way to realistically go ( £2k ) and you will not be able to get them within the std wheels..... I have been working on better LR brakes for ages now and still the best set up I have found ( which remains at a sensible price aswell ) is:

Vented and crossdrilled front discs ( £90 a pair ) Solid and crossdrilled rear discs ( £70 a pair )

110 calipers all round Upgraded kevlar pads all round ( £ £68 for both axles ) Ptfe / stainless braid hoses all round ( £11 per hose ) Good brake fluid ( not cheapo DOT 3 stuff! )

I have supplied just this setup to a chap who rallies a Disco and he has just won the Midnight Sun to Red Sea Rally ( about 3000 miles or so of racing!! )

Unless you want to spend thousands on a big disc conversion, new wheels to suit, recirculation valves, etc. then this is the most cost effective way of stopping a bit quicker in a LR

David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA4x4

I have a '75 RR and was told that the easiest upgrade for mine (heavy towing) would be a set of rotors from a later model with vented discs, plus the associated calipers. It appears to be a straight bolt on, and while I had wondered about the thicker rotors, all that LandRover had done was to put in a spacer in the caliper. This would mean that non OEM vented/slotted/drilled rotors are just as easily dropped in if the caliper mounting point is unchanged.

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

Andy Hi,

The reason for bigger diameter is even better brake efficiency. Drilled, grooved and vented already exists but they get hot and loose their efficiency in the hot Greek climate. Especially on an almost 3 tonnes heavy Camel Trophy Discovery 200Tdi travelling on downslopes with 40 degrees Celsius ambient temperature.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

David Hi and thanks for the input.

Vented, grooved AND drilled rotors are used extensively here in Greece by various people racing their D90s but they tend to warp (especially the TarOx ones) The kevlar pads sounds interesting though, same as the SS hoses. As for braking fluid the one I have been using for a number of years now is DOT5, same as the one I use on my AUDI RS2 factory fitted with 322X32mm drilled and vented PORSCHE 911 GT rotors and calipers at the front and drilled and vented PORSCHE 944 Turbo rotors and calipers at the rear.

Thanks for the input and prices once more Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

The bolt on upgrade you describe is well worth doing as matter of course...

What Pantelis is on about is the next stages beyond this standard upgrade...

David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA4x4