Disco 1 brakes

Could do with replacing brake discs/pads on a 300TDI disco1, non vented, non abs before the MOT in May.

1) Can I fit vented discs and still use the same calipers? 2) If not, what are the best options for maximizing the stopping power of the anchors? Any particular drilled type discs and/or magic pads worth paying the money for? Cheers Graham
Reply to
Graham Bowers

Ish.. you need to insert spacers between the caliper halves - I seem to recall someone knowing where to get the - perhaps a search of this group cold find it?

You pay's yer money and takes you choice. Standard brakes are fine for almost circumstances, assuming they are working ok!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Always buy original equipment pads!

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I know from scary experience not to buy cheap pads but I was wondering if there are pads out there that may give increased braking force and not have a fade penalty. Cheers Graham

Reply to
Graham Bowers

EBC Greenstuff pads.

Reply to
EMB

I have a '96 D1... 4.0L though. I uprated the discs to DBA's cross drilled/slotted rotors and EBC's Kevlar green stuff pads with great results. I'm hard on the LR and these work better than OEM.

Reply to
Jack

Hi Graham, give Graham Beck at Zeus Engineering a call on 01392 438833 and talk to him about their Zeus vented disc brake kit. Has everything you need for a "bolt-on" and away you go job.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

PS Declaration of commercial interest given as I sell their products in Australia

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Graham Hi,

caliper spacers kit exist so that you can convert your calipers for non-vented disc brakes so that you can fit vented discs.

EBC Kevlar pads work very nicely. Their only drawback is that they tend to be a bit hard until your brakes heat up to their proper operating temperature.

Drilled and grooved discs will give even better results.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

That would be about 10 degrees above ambient then :-)

Seriously, how can you get the brakes hot with a 300 TDi Disco? There's only just enough power to get the thing to move!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Going down past The Roaches works for a lot of people, in all vehicles.

The look on drivers faces on the 1-in-4 bit, particulalrly when towing, when they realise the car in fron really *is* going to turn right is, er, interesting......

Having said that, that hardly represents a need for uprated brakes in the normal course of events.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks for all the input, guys!

Reply to
Graham Bowers

On or around Sat, 17 Feb 2007 08:00:39 +0000, Graham Bowers enlightened us thusly:

I think you'll find it's got EBC green on the back end... fronts are something reasonable like lockheed.

'tis a fact that before we sold it I got a set of parts to put vented discs on it. The calipers are not silly money - on a vehicle that age I'd be more inclined to replace the calipers rather than convert the existing ones - if you're going to the trouble of dismantling it all to put vented discs and spacers in, there's no point in not replacing the piston seals and dust seals and the chances are that on a 12-year old motor the plating on the pistons has gone and so you then want a new piston set as well, and by the time you've got all those bits, you might as well have taken the easy option and buy a new pair of vented calipers.

just my ?0.02

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin I doubt you'd have spent that dosh without some idea of what you would be getting in terms of performance benefit?? Cheers Graham

Reply to
Graham Bowers

On or around Wed, 21 Feb 2007 06:22:56 +0000, Graham Bowers enlightened us thusly:

if you compare prices, if you're going to renew the calipers anyway, there's not much price difference in putting vented ones on.

I forget the total bill for the parts. I think the calipers were about 70 quid each for the front, less for the rears. They came from Beamends.

Reply to
Austin Shackles