Looks familiar..

Iveco M30E18WM, their latest advancement in lightweight, high mobility military 4x4s..

Yes that's leaf springs.

Basically it's a Santana PS-10, AKA series 3 in Defender clothing.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

"Ian Rawlings" wrote

Wasn't there some troll around here some time ago, saying how much better the Iveco is compared to those awful, awful Land Rovers some people seem to be liking around here?

To be fair I wouldn't mind one (in the same way I wouldn't mind a bunch of other similar vehicles), but I'd rather stick with my 90, thank you very much.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

On or around Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:02:20 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

Actually, the PS-10, in some ways, is better than a defender - body's better, better mounted, wider load space, no seat box to get in the way, etc.

Engine-wise, there's not much wrong with Iveco - dunno about the latest one but the 2.8 they were using up to a couple of years ago was reckoned to be pretty tough. They're also a good bit cheaper.

Only real downside is the leaf springs - but putting parabolics on the SIII improves the ride considerably, it's not the equivalent of a coiler, but it's noticeably better than standard.

Basically, having heard about some of the recent defenders, if I were in the market for a new CSW, I reckon I'd buy the santana.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Maybe, and any vehicle has advantages over others, I just feel it's a bit of a blatant rip-off! Landrover don't seem to be too concerned about what happens to the Defender though.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:43:57 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

Well, to be fair, Santana started off building Series IIIs under licence (actually I think originally, they were CKDs) and they only diverted into what you might credibly call the Series IIIA at the point when LR went to coils, and it wasn't worth updating the factory.

Dunno about the Iveco thing. However, there are obvious links to Santana, since they use Iveco engines.

Reply to
Austin Shackles