Loose mirror on Def110

Hi Group, Just noticed that the passenger side door mirror on my 2002 Defender 110 is loose.

Do I really have to remove the top door hinge to get at the screws holding the mirror in place?

cheers 3LB

Reply to
3LB

If its like mine ( 98) just poke an Allen key ( hexagonal) into the base where the ball is simply tighten to desired grip. Tip; not too taut as it is useful to allow the mirrir to bang backwards if you misjudge the mirrors on passing or parked vehicles

Reply to
Hirsty's

Thanks for that but it looks like the two screws are loose that are holding the whole mirror assembly to the door, not the mirror ball that can move if you hit anything.

cheers 3LB

Reply to
3LB

In that case the answer is yes. JD

Reply to
JD

Take care I have heard that they are captive nuts behind and if loose can be a sod to redo ????

Reply to
Hirsty's

The nuts on the door pillar are captive - and if they are rusty can be a problem. But you do not need to undo these, you only need to undo the door end of the hinge (need to take off the door lining to get at the nuts). Take the door lining off, remove the nuts but not the bolts, making sure the bolts are loose, shut the door so it is supported, remove the bolts, giving access to the mirror screws. Remove the screws, apply loktite, replace and tighten them, reassemble everything. JD

Reply to
JD

Thanks for the info, I will give it a go, The vehicle is still under warranty but the nearest dealer is 3 hours drive away!

cheers 3LB

Reply to
3LB

Had the same problem on my defender, only difference is mine is a 1988 and no warranty. Replaced mirror, JD description is spot on, pain in the arse though re aligning door again after refitting hinge (could be the age), it never has been the same since. It may be worth getting it done under the warranty, fiddle job, and you will have to be careful taking your door trim off, my trim was knackered before I started, so wasn't much of a problem for me. Got my mirror from Paddock Spares.

Good Luck.

Andy

Reply to
andy