mallory twin points dizzy

Hi all,

I have a mallort twin point in my v8 ex compe safari racer and am going to attempt to give it a service before it falls apart entirely. Does anyone know how to set these up, and what parts are available. I would like to think that the set up informatino in standard but I not going to even bother opening it all up until I have all the relevant information. Hope someone can help. Any general V8 tuning info would also be greatly recieved. I used it for a trial last weekend and the thing would just die away and stall about 500rpm lower than expected. she also "splutters" when you bury the throttle from low revs.

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Simon Isaacs has got one... :(

When it was mine, google and the like didn't turn up a whole lot. in the end Warren worked it out the hard way I think - trial, error and common-sense.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

IMO, the only thing it really has going for it is the ability to adjust the total mechanical advance, other than that my experiences suggest it is a relatively troublesome piece of kit with high maintenance issues. An acquaintance of mine had one on his hillrally racer - and went out at the first service on the Scottish Hillrally a few years back due to it's failure. I believe he kicked it mercilessly around his workshop on the following Monday morning....!!! Needless to say he now runs the dizzy that is my personal favourite choice, the standard Lucas DLM8 with the amp module on the side of the dizzy body. I have found these dizzy's to be very reliable over the years and fit them to all my engines wherever possible. RPI will no doubt help if you open your wallet, I believe they hold stocks of spares for them, but I'd personally fit a DLM8 and forget it. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:27:02 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" scribbled the following nonsense:

gives a really strong spark though, much stronger than most other dizzys I have seen.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Yebbut the spark intensity is down to the coil's output voltage and the dwell period, not just the points that are switching it. In the case of the mallory, the twin points are definitely an advantage over a single-points rover dizzy, by allowing a longer dwell period for the coil to "charge up" and the elimination of high-rpm points bounce. However, both these points (no pun intended!) are made obsolete with an electronic dizzy, which has a longer dwell time and higher rpm (switching) limit than any points dizzy. A Lucas DLM8 dizzy, correctly set up with sound condition cap, rotor arm, leads, plugs and coil is as good as any mallory in my opinion, notwithstanding the mallory's ability to alter the total advance. The lucas unit can have the total advance altered as well, just not as simply as turning a screw, and both types need to come apart to replace springs if altering the advance rates. Added bonus of the lucas one is the ability to obtain spares easily, very handy if you suffer a breakdown somewhere. Just my personal thoughts. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Strange that there isn't any set up info readily available. I don't want to have to buy a new dizzy simply because it's generally running OK and the thing only gets used the last Sunday of every month.

I think it just needs setting up. It's not had a service in the

12months I;ve had it except for oil and filter so I'm guessing that it could do with some TLC.

I'm also wondering whether the Gunson Colortune kit that I have seen actually works, I can't help thinking that the spluttering under acceleration is just fuel / carb set up.

Any recommended reading on V8's?

Reply to
Dave R

Mallory twin-point setting procedure on the link below

EMB