Weallhatebillgates is still dizzy...

If this appears ok, then WooHoo! Finally XP2000+ hits the ground stumbling.... Firstly I must thank my amazing father-in-law for this amazing machine - it means I can't play with SWMBI's lesser machine. BooHoo . This was a trip into the unknown with win98 & OpenOffice and not much else installed. So I've fitted (just in case anyone's interested/building)

Firefox 0.8 - The ultimate browser? I thnk so (so far) and with a veritable plethora of plugins to suit you sir

40tude- news/mail- I tried Thunderbird but it seems to have a few issues (like having to subscribe users to ngservers individually, rather than a pool for all users to dip into (I may have missed something, but I've seen posts with similar 'problems'). 40tude Dialog - mail/news - setup no problems, just trial-posting/fine-tuning and 'auto-collect' of new posts to sort out- I'll put up with a few extra clicks meantime (UK Workaround champion 1992-2003(retd undefeated)) - easy/simple gui and logical steps with good help files. Proxomitron - I'm just starting to look at this - the potential is amazing. 'Porting' your browser through this has a slew of potential benefits. Seems easy to use and lots of shiny colours. AdAware6 Spybot1.3 ZoneAlarm 4.5.594 BlackIce 2.9 Kerio 2.1.5 AVG6 F-Prot X-Setup 6.5 EasyCleaner 2.06.369 ToniArts TweakNow 1.3.0.0 TweakNow.com ZipGenius 1.4

There are three firewalls because I'm using this machine to try out apps before throwing them onto SWMBI's machine. ZA is extremely simple to set up and use and I've had no problems with it (still keep older versions, though!). Kerio and BlackICE take more setting up and thinking about, but (certainly with BI) provide more info about 'incoming' (BlackIce is starting to make me smile).

/control panel>settings>smile> on I got the pc up and running and started emptying the Sea of Apps with my download bucket - 'fun size' - dialup yahboosucks :-(

/control panel>settings>smile> enlarge I was given another MkII GTI (3dr) this week

/control panel>settings>smile> stretch to fit widescreen I got a parking ticket for a car I got rid of to someone who f**ked me previously. This will end up in court. And there's the Sorn notice... And not telling the DVLSSA about change of keeper...

/control panel>settings>smile> invest in dual monitor setup After I got mah noo pootah, SWMBI's pc was forcibly returned to its original state (as set up by FIL). Bwahahahahaa! Now it's a proper dual-boot system. Every time it's switched on, it hangs and has to be rebooted.I spent about 18mths slowly improving everything I could resulting in a crash-free, lightning-fast (well, it's all relative) stable, user-friendly private (as in ID protected) secure system. 5 dual-boots and

37 mins total runtime later, and I've been promised everything up to and including "The Congress of the Ant"..... O O :-o O O | I'm trying to do it again | U :-o U Weallhatebillgates would be found at hotmail
Reply to
weallhatebillgates

May I commend for your list; Muffin

Prolly my fave as an alternative to the slightly deadified Poxomitron...

Reply to
Mother

Trying out PickItUpandShakeIt II©, the ultimate Etch-A-Sketch killer app, Mother screendumped :

Thanks. I've downloaded it, but the latest date I found on any files in Muffin is dated 2000. Naoko 4.5 was upddated 2003.

The benefit of Proxo.. I thought was that you can one-click to switch profiles or bypass filters. I'm also putting togethter a 333 Crypplix with

64meg for an underaware user, so this may be of use to anyone a bit 'newbie'. I'm no expert, but having to build a secure/fast machine (dialup) which is online possibly 14hrs at a time (work & play) ended up with the above. So far, only two viruses have landed (not me, both fixed same day)- both by opening attachments. Backup lots!

If it's not a daft question, would some form of 'mentoring' within the ng be a good idea? Like pointing specific queries towards people? I've seen a few threads where, although correct advice has been given for the problem in question, the very question has suggested that a) the prospective 'mechanic' doesn't have enough background knowledge to carry out the job/ should be starting by learning from basics b) Another vehicle will be travelling about in an unsafe condition due to ignorance

I know there are some extremely knowledgable people within this ng whose advice is excellent and you learn if you ask etc etc but a lot of people quite obviously need to learn from basics.

I've spent time teaching 'clients' (like in jail 'clients' are 'serviced' by gaollers nowadays, whereas 15 years ago the only servicing happening was of the eye-watering variety) how to carry out minor servicing, and teaching them (as necessary) until they reach an acceptable standard of competence. This has been part of our 'ethos' as it's more savings for them to give us for modifying their vehicles. It also means they are less likely to get stuck if they break down...

Howabout a mentoring scheme covering the country (or countries)? Like a register of people in each area who can help? This I'd do (for a fee obviously - I'm not crawling about under other people's vehicles at the moment - health 'issues' but thanks to my 'service provider', I'm 'in-sourcing' nicely, thanks) I'm sure there's potential for 'workshops' at workshops in such basic lessons.

-- @ @ Snowblowers II @ @ | the ultimate | * snowman jazzmag * Weallhatebillgates would be found at hotmail

Reply to
weallhatebillgates