Odd thing on my discovery...

Does anyone know if land rover ever fitted night heaters as an option to their vehicles?

The discovery i've bought has an extra control box screwed onto the centre console by the window buttons. When the engine is off, setting it's timer running starts up the fans and starts pushing warm air into the cabin. There is also what appears to be an exhaust outlet under the driver's door.

I've not managed to trace this back yet to find out the manufacturer, but was wondering if anyone had ever seen such a device before?

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

On or around Thu, 26 May 2005 22:02:32 GMT, Alex Threlfall enlightened us thusly:

sounds like a night heater or similar. Probably retro-fit though - I've not heard of such a thing as a factory option.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It certainly sounds like a night heater. Does the vehicle have a diesel engine? It could be an interior air only heater, or a full engine coolant heater, great for winter mornings. Just set the timer to go off an hour before you want to use the car. They are quite an easy retro fit. Eberspacher is one manufacturer.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

An aguably more popular supplier in the UK is Webasto

As the Colonel said, very useful bit of kit to have on those cold winter mornings, especially if you have the one plumbed into the engine coolant system.

One gotcha though, depending on how integrated it is. You may want to check the timer out against the alarm. I found that I had to disable the interior protection on both my Discovery and Defender (both after market fitments), but no longer need to do that on my VW Caravelle (factory fit).

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey

Are there any Special Vehicles badges on the vehicle? LR will add pretty much anything - if you've got the dosh!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yup, it's the diesel 300TDI. Wonder how I work out how fitted it is :)

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

Looking at their website, that's the manufacturer as i recognise the logo :) Now to work out exactly what it does and how i can use it to my benefit :)

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

I have a Webasto diesel fuelled pre-heater fitted to my D1 300TDi - it heats the coolant/block & pumps the water through the cabin heater matrix - it is inserted inline with the water pipe from the engine block to the cabin heater. Once it has been on for a couple of minutes the water pipes have a definite warm feel to them - after about 20mins the water thermo shows almost normal running temp.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Wilson