OT. Hunting engines

Two friends of mine left their vehicles for some time without using them, one a Honda Civic and the other an "L" reg VW Passat. Now they are MOT'd and back on the road both exhibit the same symptoms, the engine hunts** when stationary instead of a steady tickover. After some while, 30 mins, the Passat does tickover properly but if allowed to cool down it reverts to it's hunting.

**slows down and then speeds up like you are constantly blipping the throttle. Any ideas?
Reply to
Bob Hobden

1 - Choose a friend to be considerd 'your faviourite'. 2 - Sell him your S111 3 - Sell the other My RR

Mark

90 90 87 RR V8
Reply to
Mark Solesbury

"Mark Solesbury" wrote

The one with the Honda also has a Disco and as it's one of those Friday Disco's (always something wrong) I don't think he would have another Landrover at any price.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

How long is 'some time'. It could be as simple as stale petrol.

They both make me think 'lambda sensor'. More so the Passat which sounds like it may have a heated lambda sensor, but the heating circuit isn't working.

If it's anything like some of the Fords we get here and the vehicle battery went flat whilst unused the ECU may have lost or corrupted it's calibration data (that it learns whilst being driven). Theoretically the ECU will relearn as the vehicle is driven - it could take up to 1000 miles for it to learn enough to settle down properly.

Reply to
EMB

Couple of months at most.

Thanks, is there a way to check it is the Lambda sensor, and where abouts is one found on an engine, my vehicles don't have such things? :-) Do they cost much to replace?

Reply to
Bob Hobden