Rear wiper motor relay - RRC

My rear wiper isn't working. I bought a replacement motor from eBay but its slightly different. how annoying. However I now think that it may be the relay that is at fault.

Armed with my multimeter, it appears there is a constant 12v coming down the wire to the motor when the ignition is on. Surely voltage should only appear when the rear wiper button is pressed.

Does this mean that my relay is faulty? apart from swapping it, is there any other way of testing a relay? Relay part is PRC7404. Dont want to have to pay =A330 odd if its not the fault.

Thanks,

Paul

1992 RRC Vogue SE
Reply to
Pacman

It needs a permanent feed (when the ignition is on) to allow the motor to park. There's a set of contacts in the motor.

I hope that the old motor wasn't just suffering from seizure of the output shaft - that's usually fixable.

Reply to
Dougal

No. It's auto park, yes? That 12v is present so that after you switch your wiper off the motor can still move to park itself. Check with the wiper that you've bought whether the motor itself is the same or compatible with your drive gear from the old one.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

On my 89 RRC, there is also a reed switch attached to the motor, in a brown bakelite canister about an inch long and 1/4 inch diameter.

Mine stopped working ages ago and I must admit I haven't bothered to fix it - there's normally so much crap inside the car that I end up using the external mirrors anyway.

Reply to
Pete Young