P38 or P38a

Hi peoples Can anyone tell me the difference between P38 & P38a ? My friend has one that needs the whole front halfshaft/steering swivel/hub assembly and he is being quoted different prices for the two types although is still about £1500. His (actually his girlfriends) is a 4.6 Vogue from

2001.

I just thought that there was only the P38 or am I thinking of plastic padding? Cheers for any help.

Reply to
Brian

There is no difference. P38 is the least correct, but most commonly used designation.

The RR model you are referring to was actually originally coded the "38A" by LR, but for some reason it was prefixed with a P later on by someone unknown (theorised that it was a shortening of Project 38A) and 'P38' seemed to come into general use, but some people also refer to it as the P38A.

There were revisions to the RR at the time around your friends model year, perhaps that is why there is some confusion. Best to work from the VIN if there is any doubt.

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

Thanks for the info Matt. We'll follow your suggestion.

Reply to
Brian