P38 starting problems... possible alarm...

OK, just taking an adventure in the middle of nowhere and the P38 refused to start this morning. Tried it on the starter (which is turning the motor) until the battery nearly went dead. Walked down to the local garage who came and picked her up, plugged into his diagnostics equipment and it tells him there there is a problem with the anti-theft system.

I'm not convinced that it is the real problem as the console doesn't say anything (like the usual 'Enter EKA' or anything like that. The motor turns, it just doesn't do anything at all - like fuel pump isn't doing anything.

Guy at the garage has suggested taking it to the local LR dealer for them to reprogram the alarm system - at a cost of 200+euros just for getting it there I'm a bit reluctant!

Just want to know (asap!) any P38 people know that if the anti-theft system cuts in, if it lets the engine turn at all? I was sure that it wouldn't do anything when you turned the key if it was that?? Am I right?

Matt M

Reply to
lefouanglais

Have a look on

matey, there's loads of reasons, have you had any 'key battery low' warnings?

Reply to
Nige

Managed to dash home in a borrowed car to pickup the 2nd remote fob. Not had anything on the dash at all, everything working perfectly until I tried to go out at lunch time. Had problem with the EKA once on my old P38 and as I recall (and from what I read) it won't even let the motor turn over, so I'm not convinced that this fault is what is causing the problem - perhaps just a stored fault from a while back. The guy's diagnostics stuff can only read what is wrong, not reset or recode stuff for the P38, so I'm stuck with going to main dealer.

Noticed she was on the bump-stops today, which it has never been before (no idea if it is related) had a new battery just before I bought it so not battery related, and remote been working absolutely fine. Battery was fully charged and turning over the motor fine until I flattened it trying to get it to start!

Have printed out the pages from RR.net and will read through tonight.

Bollox... Had to happen when I'm supposed to be on holiday!

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

Total long shot here - I had the exact same problem with my old E class merc. Between the RAC bod and myself we had half the car apart.

He then suggested as a last shot to try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes. Bingo, not been a problem since.

Reply to
Buzby

Local garage had been through everything like that already. In the end I had no choice but to have it taken to the LR dealer. They sorted it in 10min - was a synch problem between the ECU's onboard after the immobiliser threw a wobbly. For whatever reason they also took it upon themselves to check over the entire vehicle and told me it needed 4l of oil (yikes!) which they kindly put in at 13 euros / litre without asking

- was tempted to ask them to take it out again!!

So...

...76 euros at the local garage for checking it over and diagnositcs.....145 euros at the LR dealer.... and 311 bloody euros for the recovery - and that's after the insurance company paid their 153 euros part! I'm gonna look into the diagnostics kit - I've seen something (Blackbox?) that is tied to one vehicle that isn't too bad, not cheap, but with a total of 532 euros for something that took the dealer 10min with the right kit, it might just be worth it for next time! Dealer told me it *won't* happen again, one in a million chance, but I'm not so convinced!

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

Well, to be fair, the dealer at least checjked your oil mate, better safe than sorry.

At least it wasn't anything mega expensive. I wouldn't waste your time & money on diagnostics, apart from the EAS kicker.

Got my Disco back today, that cost me £300 for both diff oils changing, autobox oil changing, fitting a new ACE ram, new radiator & coolant fitting, engine oil & both filters.

I think thats very good plice. The bloke that i get to do it reckons it's in bloody superb shape all round

Reply to
Nige

Oh yeah absolutely - happy they gave it the once over, but would have been nice if they'd asked before putting 50 euros of oil in!

I was reading stories of 900+ on the Internet, so am grateful it wasn't a new ECU or anything like that, and they synch'd up the 2nd fob, which I discovered wasn't working at the same time too.

Not bad - how much did you pay again for it?

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

I bought an OBDII reader, won't touch Land Rover.

Reply to
GbH

It's not a straight OBDII reader ...

Dougal

I was trying to imply don't go for an OBDII

Reply to
GbH

Yes, I didn't realise that you were warning against the OBDII until it was too late. Oops!

Reply to
Dougal

I thought an OBDII would read the basic standard stuff but no vehicle specifics (resyncing ECU's is of course vehicle specific).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice