P38 alarm

Is it possible to lock a P38 diesel without the alarm setting? I am having problems with it going off all the time, any help much appreciated. Barno.

Reply to
Barno

I've been looking into this too because the ferry company I use regularly say you must disable the alarm.

I've not bothered to try yet, but I think you can lock the car doors using the drivers side button. As far as I have gathered you have to press the button down and then wait over 1.5 seconds before closing the door.

Of course it all depends on how old your P38 is as they changed the way they act over the years.

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Does a P.38 have a Key lock? On the Disco you lock it with the key... then you unlock with the remote or hoards of evil pixies will cause you trauma.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

...and Matthew Maddock spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

ISTR that locking with the key will lock the doors, immobilise the engine, and activate the perimeter alarm, but not the volumetric alarm in the interior.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Its a 95 if that makes any difference to anyone. have tried the key before but it still sets the led flashing on the dash.

Reply to
Barno

Lee

It does have a key lock, but it still sets the alarm!

There are two alarm modes on the P38 ..

1 press of the key fob (or use the key) sets the perimeter alarm i.e. doors, boot & bonnet.

2 presses of the key fob sets it into "Super-lock" mode which activates the ultrasonic sensors and double locks the doors (so they can't be opened from the inside)

Bruno - I'm surprised you alarm is going off if you only single lock it. I've just tried locking mine with the button, and I can't get it to do it at all! But I know that was one of the features that changed, so you might be able to get yours to work - who knows!

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

THE perimeter alarm is a simple circiut normally. I would think that all the door open/close sensors are linked to the BeCM to enable alarm setting. It is a possiblility that one of the sensors is shagged or the BeCM is not reading it correctly. The BeCM can be frigged on some inputs i believe, but ALWAYS start on the sensors on any major electronic device. these are the items that go pop most.

It might need a reset on Rovacom even for all we know. I dont even know if it can be reset etc.

I have always found that most things electrical or electronics based dont like cold & it is fecking cold right now.

I have a problem with my HEVAC. 99.9% of thew time it's fine. But come any temp less than 0 it gets the silly open book symbol on the display. Took me a while but i have realised it's a duff outside temp sensor as it goes mad outside temp then puts the symbol up. Turn off the engine & it's fine. It misreads by a mile (as in my WRX & the wifes Gti told me it was -6 & mine said 14 degrees!!) Now this could be the ECU, but i doubt it.

Anyone know wher the outside temp sensor is?

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

WANTED: Series Project but must be runner with MOT

'"I don't remember asking you a goddam thing"

Reply to
Nige

Behind the front grille, on the left side just in front of the AC condenser. Mine gave wierd readings in the summer and caused the AC to behave like it was not sposed to. Replaced the sensor and it all worked ok for a few weeks till the ac compressor sprung a leak, replaced that and all worked ok till etc etc etc. Welcome to P38 ownership Nige!!

Gazza

Reply to
Gazza

Up to VIN 381430, in the air recirculation housing, accessible behind the scuttle panel. From VIN 381431, in front of the radiator, behind the bumper valance.

Reply to
SimonJ

It's like anyhting thats worth having mate. Nothing is perfect! If it's perfect it's either lying or boring!

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

WANTED: Series Project but must be runner with MOT

'"I don't remember asking you a goddam thing"

Reply to
Nige

Right, where do the pollen filters go on my 96 model then. After the last service thats when the funny reading started. On a run it displays normal temp, but stood it goes wild!

I reckon pollen filter renewal may have moved summat?

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

WANTED: Series Project but must be runner with MOT

'"I don't remember asking you a goddam thing"

Reply to
Nige

The odd bit is my heater is fine, no problem at all. The a/c is fine too!

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

WANTED: Series Project but must be runner with MOT

'"I don't remember asking you a goddam thing"

Reply to
Nige

Is it before or after 381430?

After that, VIN they installed a software strategy to prevent strange readings, which basically ignored the temp sensor below 15mph.

Reply to
SimonJ

Thanks to all for thr info, I just took the panel off the inside of the door an dthere was guite a lot of condensation around the lock area, so I have soaked it in water displacement fluid and I will leave it to dry and then reassemble it. Hopefully all will be ok then.

Reply to
Barno