P38a Air Conditioning (again -- new development)

Many thanks to all those who helpfully responded to my earlier post. Since then, I have found a company in Surrey which offers an American process which is said to seal slow leaks in aircon systems with a sealant which is introduced into the system and seals the leak by hardening as it is exposed to the air. Sounds like Radweld or the schoolboy dodge of putting Golden Syrup in a bicycle tyre. The sealant remains in the system and may pose a contamination problem to any future pumping-out, so the company adds a warning sticker to this effect.

Does anyone on the list have any experience, good or bad, of this process or any similar one?

Many thanks,

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Mawson

No experience of it but Halfords sell something similar. I saw it in my local outlet recently. Read the blurb carefully as it says something like "not compatible with coolant "xyz" which is probably only found in pre 1990 (I think) vehicles. My P38 Aircon keeps blowing hot 'n cold. I've given up with it, gone back to using windows.

FWIW, I wouldn't use it. Radweld is an example, IMHO it's only a temporary 'get you home and then use it 'til it breaks again 'cause you've forgotten/neglected to fix it' solution until it can be fixed properly.

Pete Smith

1995 P38 RR
Reply to
Pete Smith