Paint or oil

Hi, just taken delivery of a replacement rolling chassis for my 90. I have cleaned it down and there is virtually no rust on it at all (and certainly no rot). I am in an ideal position to treat this chassis before I begin bolting the bits back on.

Question: Would you simply WaxOil it, or would you paint it (Hammerite style). I have a friend who says the metal should breathe, so only oil it, but another friend who swears by paint (10 year guarantee with Hammerite). I personally like the idea of painting it whilst I can get my hands on it, and oiling it in later months/years????

Reply to
Angus McDangle

Paint it, but don't forget it because the enemy is always vigilant :)

Me I have a light coating of rust at the moment on varios parts of the chassis, until I get round to cleaning it off and painting it (the weather not really being conducive at the moment) I think the worst thing in the world is the kind of coating that just masks what is going on underneath and I would far rather the surface rust than the invisible worm eating its way from the inside out.

Reply to
Larry

paint with hammerite then waxoyl it

Reply to
Richard

I'm told the trouble with Hammerite on the chassis is that it doesn't flex plus you need, at the very least, two coats - I prefer more. Smoothrite did a good job of the rear crossmember and bumper on mine, but a friend Hammerited the chassis and did a good job, but it still didn't last. POR-15 is supposed to be the mutts-nuts so I'm using that when I change the tank this weekend.

Reply to
Bob Miller

Mate took some boat bits to a galvanising firm. Was amused to see a rolling Citroen 2CV chassis being dipped. Is that viable for your chassis? I know that the inevitable attentions of the welder in later years will need caution but . . .

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

You are all wrong. While you have it stripped, get it off to the local galvanizer and forget about any problems in future.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

On or around Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:59:23 +0100, "Bob Miller" enlightened us thusly:

There's also that galvafroid stuff. Painted ny rebuilt tow hitch with it, not got around to putting any top coat on it yet. seems OK so far...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Bob Miller" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

You are right. Do not paint with a standard paint. Use a zinkprimer.

/Peter (with a rusty Disco)

Reply to
Peter Sjödin

Twas Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:49:59 +0100 when "Angus McDangle" put finger to keyboard producing:

If it's solid you can do no better (in my opinion) than galvanizing it. Second to that, there is some paint I've seen talked about that's used to paint oil-rigs and such.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Do you mean Galvafroid? Soooo expensive it'll turn your politics red. But it's the mutts nuts.

And spray the interior with Dinitrol?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

My experience over several decades of trying to protect mild steel exposed to the weather is that paint will always do a better job than oil. I've sometimes yielded to the temptation to use oil because it's quick, but you always wind up painting it in the end. Clean off all rust back to bright metal first.

Dave

Reply to
David Bexhall