Ping Beamends? Rotor arm

Simple question - which one! 101 V8, 35D8 dizzy. Parts book quotes GRA112 (P6 type), early rangy and others quote RTC6630 but Beamends site only lists STC1857 - is this electronic dizzy only?

I'm inclined to go RTC6630 ...

Reply to
AJG

Interesting - I'll have a look in the morning. There is another one, RTC3618 that's for 14/15/17G Suffix A engines only.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

Replying to myself.... bad form etc.....

According to Microcat RTC6630 doesn't exist and never has! I suspect a cross-pollination from Rover part numbers sometime in the past (one of the suppliers does that quite a lot). I'll get the good old paper book out in the moring...

[...]

Even worse form when you do it 3 times ;-)

Reply to
EMB

Don't know what happenend there, and I can't blame Michysoft either, that was from Linux (which is perfect as we all know)!

Anyway, had a look in the good 'ole paper book - RTC6630 is not an in there, so it probably does come from Rover/Leyland.

Anyway, here the full list of numbers (some superceeded - I'll sort that out this morning...)

Range Rover To 1985

------- RTC3613 Rotor Arm Non Detox 355 Engines suff. A to E inclusive Detox 341, 355, 356, 357, 359 Engines suff. B to E inclusive Detox 341,359,398 Engines Suff F on Non Detox 355 Engines Suff. F on (605190 cap)

RTC3618 Rotor Arm

11D,15D,16D17D & 19D Engines Suffix A only All electronic (with RTC3197 cap)

Range Rover From 1986

--------- RTC6629 -> superceeds to STC1857 Rotor Arm (RTC3197 cap)

Stage I V8

---------- RTC3613 Rotor Arm (605190 cap)

Defender to 86

-------- With Points

RTC3618 Rotor Arm (RTC3197 cap)

Electronic

RTC3199 Rotor Arm (RTC3197 cap)

Defender from 86

---------------- With points & Strombergs 14G/15G/17G Engines

RTC3618 Rotor Arm (RTC3197 cap)

With points & Strombergs 19G/20G/21G/22G Engines & SU's

STC1857 (RTC3197 cap)

and finaly... to get to point (groan).......

101
Reply to
beamendsltd

I'm sure I bought one from my local car parts shop and it was the one listed in his big book for a 1977 RR 3.5

Reply to
Tom Woods

Thanks Richard, glad I could confuse you!

I think your exhaustive list is referred to as 'oh bugger'.

I think I'm correct if I say that as long as the same cap is used, any

35d8 can use the same rotor arm ... isn't the 12v 101 dizzy physically the same as the early RR and stage 1? I have seen a ballasted (suppressed) rotor arm (on my '75 Range Rover, 35d8) but I haven't seen another for sale so I have no idea on its part number.

As for RTC 6630 ... hmm

Reply to
AJG

The 101 & early RR distributors are the same, and the same part number! I got some out of stores to have a look at, and it is certainly difficult (read : I couldn't see it) to see what the differences are, except ones to match the different height caps. However, doing the above was a worthwhile excersise, for me anyroad, for three reasons

  1. I now have have difinitive evidence of which should be used with what. I like that because;
  2. We used to park the van in the pits at the Nationals and at inter- club events, and it was always rather disturbing to notice how much trouble people (usually with many years of competetive V8 tuning) had getting their Comp. Safari motors running right for more than 10 mins. Now I suspect that the reason may well have been;
  3. Manufactureres will always try to rationalise their inventory, so if they supply 3 variations of something that appear the same there is usually some reason why they are not, and
  4. I could never keep my Stage I in tune for more than 10 mins, and I now know why - I was alsmost certainly using the wrong cap and arm! (make that five reasons)
  5. I can now say that (provided with right info, not that anyone ever has with regard to V8's) *that* is the right part, which is after rather the point of being in this business.

The problem is now RTC6630. I stock them (as some ask for them by part number), but I've never put them on the site as I can't say what they are for if asked - all the sites I've looked at this evening describe them as beng for non-electronic distributors, but that's clearly not correct as there are three types for said distributors, with differing caps to boot! And I thought LT77 internals are a pain..!

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

I did a bit of research its been superceeded by a new number STC1857 why on earth it should have had 3 different parts numbers to start with Unipart/Brown Brothers/ BMC/Leyland Parts division, only knows- RTC3618 ,3199,6629 for dizzys with sliding CB sets

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Well that ties in with the implied supercession from Supplier No.3's lists. It's handy having some else reach the same concusion! Cheers.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd