Power steering fluid dumped.

89 Range Rover 3.5 EFI, started her last night and within a few metres all of the fluid from the system was dumped on the road. This happened once before a few months ago, i just topped up and drove and the leak stopped.

It seems that the fluid is coming from the steering box (difficult to be 100% certain as the underneath of the motor is wet at the moment).

Anyone any ideas as to what will need replacing ?.

Reply to
tomfarthing

ha scritto nel messaggio

One would think that a tube popped off, and needs refitting or replacing

ciao

Reply to
Vincenzoni Attilio, Esq.

One might think that, except he says he DID refill it and the leak stopped. Self-replacing pipes are very rare....Unless a pipe is split on the LP side of the circuit, but only opens up occasionally.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Split casing? - not unknown.

As always, we're wasting our time guessing - wash everything down and observe.

Reply to
Dougal

It looks like the fluid is coming from the bottom of the steering box.

I've crawled underneath with the engine off (dont want to get a face full of the stuff), and the whole of the box is covered in fluid. The top of it is clean and dry, and all the pipes seem to be fine.

Is it possible to replace any seals, or is it a new box ?.

Advice or ideas anyone.

Reply to
tomfarthing