poxy discovery handbrake....

Well, I can now strip and rebuild the handbrake mechanism from a

200tdi disco blindfold.

What it appears that I cannot do is get the poxy thing to work :-(

New shoes on and the performance was, er, worse.

Now after several attempts at sorting it out, I have a handbrake lever that is solid at 2 clicks, and you have to be geoff capes to get it to

3, and then can push the whole vehicle along no worries :-(

Any ideas?

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

Make sure the pistons are in the right way round in the expander. It's easy for them to turn themselves around whilst re-assembling. Sounds very much like the problem - otherwise you've accidentally put them in backwards. The 2 clicks you're getting is just the cable taking up. I might be able to round up an assembly diagram from the manual if you like.

==Craig.

Reply to
Craig

or rather you can't!

Reply to
Dougal

Is it the one with the rod from the expander on the offside with the adjuster on the nearside or the one with the cable going through the backplate at the bottom and with the 17mm adjuster at the bottom also? If it's the older (first) one, consider changing it for the later type, you only have to redrill one of the holes in the backplate and change the cable, they are a big improvement.

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

I was going to suggest taking the blindfold off but refrained (until now) on the basis that it was cruel as I couldn't actually help.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Check the drum hasn't warped and become "bell" shaped - easiest method is to use a bore gauge to check its inside diameter is constant.

Reply to
EMB