Corsa handbrake adjustment

I have an N registered 1.7 Vauxhall Corsa diesel on which last week the handbrake cable snapped. This weekend I replaced it, but am unable to adjust the slack from it completely - pulling the lever all the way is still completely ineffective.

The cable comes in two parts which join in an "equaliser plate" - the offside cable has a tensioning thread and this is fully home, but the Haynes manual states that adjustment may also be made by "repeatedly depressing the brake pedal 20 to 25 times ... having an assistant listen to the rear drums to ensure the adjuster nut is functioning correctly". I have tried pumping the brake, but even after 20 or 30 miles of driving - and plenty of braking - the slack is still present.

Removing the hubs today showed the brake tensioner is clearly functioning OK - the drums were difficult to remove, but the tensioning mechanism was in the correct place and after only a couple of turns on the nut the brake shoes were withdrawn enough that replacing the drums was easy.

My over-riding impression is that the replacement cable I've been given must be an inch or two too long, but as the shop is now closed for the evening I thought I'd check with the wise heads of this group here in case I'm doing something daft or making a common mistake.

If anyone has a parts manual the cables I have came in grey & red bags marked "Automotive Cables - a QH Group Company", part numbers BC2347 & BC2419 - marked respectively as "equivalent" to MBC7152 and MBC7208. I would be very grateful for any advice.

Andy B.

Reply to
DB.