Propshaft gone

It decided not to wait and parted company with the rear diff as I was driving into town this morning. Thank goodness for 4wd as I was able to limp round to a safe place to await recovery.

Actually it was not that bad as all that was needed was to remove the propshaft in order drive home safely in front wheel drive, which means I can at least drive somewhere to get it sorted tommorrow.

I had a long drive coming up on Tuesday so I suppose it is better it happend today rather than when I needed to get somewhere important..

Unfortunatley though the throttle linkage came adrift as well, maybe the vibration, is there supposed to be a circlip or something that holds the bit that comes from the carb to long shaft thingy.? I have fastened it up with copper wire to prevent it happening again. Would the circlip be easily available for the proper repair?

I am guessing all that excess vibration from the propshaft may have loosened a few other things, so where ought I to check ?

Larry series 3 109 2.25 petrol

Reply to
Larry

Well things seem pretty secure underneath, nothing else is dropping off.

The flange where the propshaft joins the rear diff has two rather oval bolt holes and I suppose it would be wise to replace the flange. I wonder if that is an easy job or requires a torque setting beyond human ability (mine anyway)

How long is it sensible to drive on front wheel drive only ?

Reply to
Larry

Same as chaning the oil seal, I syspect, so it's a bit tight.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I'd say 30 miles, more than that I'd recover it. The front UJ's are not designed for constant use. That said, without a rear diff/prop you aren't going to get transmission windup, which can be much more damaging.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Well I don't suppose three miles or so driving the old propshaft round to someone who can recondition it will be too stressfull.but a drive to Kettering on Tuesday would be out of the question, I will have to use the train :(

Reply to
Larry

I went for about 2 weeks, and did about 200 miles with front wheel drive only last winter (with no back prop). Didnt do my UJ's any harm! (They were good when i last looked in about August)

The UJ's in the front half shafts are exactly the same as the ones in the props (same part number even arn't they?), and they can take the strain well enough. I could see that driving in FWD only all the time would put overdue stress on the joint as a whole, but i'd have thought you could do a fair few hundred miles with 'em.

Reply to
Tom Woods

IIRC the torque is about 90 -100 lbft when I damaged the rear diff in my old s3 I did about 150-200 mile in front wheeldrive before I fitted another diff to the rear the main thing is to avoid tight turns the problem is with the half shaft U/J's Having said that I wouldn't do it now but back then it was necessary

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Different part number, but very similar - and more importantly well lubricated - or rather they should be!

The only real problem I can see is that wear and tear (and lack of maintainance?) is likley to show itself on what is a very rarely used part of the transmission on most LR's!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

the ones in mine are the same as my props :) Paddocks say -

RTC3291R Front halfshaft UJ RTC3291R Propshaft UJ-early-small 2 15/16"

I wish I knew when my landy was really born!. It has a '69 no plate, but all the rest of ir (like the pre-65 prop shafts) and bulkhead are older...

True. My dead front diff agrees with that! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I think you've answered your question. The Propshafts were upgraded to have bigger UJ's, probably due to excessive failure rate.... hence the later part. The front halfshaft UJ's are the earlier smaller type.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

RTC3291 is a propshaft UJ - Short Cup *WITH A GREASER* !!!!!!!! RTC3458 is a propshaft UJ - Short Cup - No greaser! RTC3690 is a half-shaft UJ

These are from the parts books.

The R on the end of Paddocks number is added by Paddocks for their own purposes.

Both our suppliers supply these UJ's under the different part numbers, and at different prices. Neither of them would do this if there was not

*some* difference

It was probably in Goverment service then - Gaydon can tell who it was delivered to.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

?? - we're talking whether its teright part - not whether it has a greaser! i.e. why would a half-shaft UJ need a greaser?

Well a 2.5 Water pump fits an LDV engine - that doesnt mean a 200 Tdi one will!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

There are more propshaft variations than you might think. The distance across the spider (or between the circlip grooves in the yoke) is critical, and I've known different UJs have the same size bearing cups, and a 2mm difference otherwise. Which on a bigger UJ isn't obvious to the eye after a bearing failure.

Reply to
David G. Bell

On or around Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:28:37 +0000, richard.watson enlightened us thusly:

true, it's redundant in a half-shaft. But if you could get the one with the greaser, you could fit it in a half-shaft, if you happened to know that it was the same size etc. which might get you running rather than having to wait for the correct part.

which hasn't a lot to do with UJs. My comments were to the effect that there are not many sizes/types of UJ and they will often interchange, especially propshaft ones with flanges.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:55:17 +0000 (GMT), snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.demon.co.uk ("David G. Bell") enlightened us thusly:

this is true too. but it's usually apparent if you try to assemble it - 2mm of side play in the joint should be obvious. I've also seen different bearing cups with different-sized rollers in 'em, which nonetheless fitted the same joint. But basically, if it goes together and swivels without excessive play in it, it'll work. At least long enough to allow the sourcing of a new replacement.

Reply to
Austin Shackles