new UJ failiure on propshaft

futher to my earlier post on sorting out some nasty vibes at 55mph, I have just removed the propshaft from the car (again) for transport to recoprop. examining the recently-replaced rear UJ (fits to the diff pinion gear yoke), it appears to be shagged:

it's an inside circlip job, with rubber seals on the bottom of the cups & one of those seals has popped out, on one of the caps which are press-fitted into the propshaft.

any ideas what could have caused this? could I have over-greased it on installation (surely impossible?)? just a crappy part? hamfisted installation by me?

might explain why I thought I had fixed the problem when I first replaced the UJ's... vibration seemed to have gone for the first test drive, but on subsequent trips was definitely back again... guess the new UJ may have been OK for the test run & then expired. the seal was definitely OK after I had just installed it.

should I have re-greased after the first test drive?

simon

Reply to
simon

The joint was misfitted, it is very easy to mess up.

Reply to
mrcheerful

press-fitted

As mrcheerfull has said, 99.99999E cases of this is cause by operator error when fitted.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::