Range Rover 3.9 V8 Vouge EFI question

My 1990 RR, shows as having no oil on the dip stick, when the engine is not running. But when it is running, it shows a full, at the high mark. The oil light only comes on at start up then goes out. There are no signs of leaks and no pools of oil under it when left standing. So any ideas why this is? Is it just a common Range Rover thing? My old Land Rover 109 showed full with engine running or not, as does any other car I have had.

Thanks

Reply to
brett

Oil level is measured when the engine is swithched off (not running). My guess is that the oil level is low and needs to be topped up.

Silas