Range Rover ignition timing

RR 88 3.5 efi auto petrol/lpg

Hi all, I'm trying to get the timing set, but it keeps wandring off! Added to that I don't 'exactly' know what to set it at as there are varying answers - the good old Haynes mentions all sorts of settings for various dizzy's but where on the the dizzy is the ident' number? Haynes obviously don't take into account different settings for LPG.

Once warm I connect up the strobe & set it mid way between 6 & 9D BTDC as this seems to be where most suggest. After blipping it seems to settle- then I battle to tighten the distributor up...surely they could have made that locknut less accesible!!

When I start back up & check, it's wandered off again. I know I haven't disturbed anything as I scribed a line as a marker on the distributor. I'm not convinced the timing is right or else there is another problem as it seems to need a hell of a boot to get it going uphill. The wife keeps asking whats up with it.....blah, blah, all this money on fuel....! Anyway I'm going to leave her at home so that's one problem solved! but I'd still like some input, I'm holding up cyclists!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

when you set it you will of course have removed the vacuum advance pipe - for cars from 87 you should have a 35DLM8 dizzy set at 6deg before tdc at

800rpm and yes the clamp screws are a royal pain I found a little more advance did give a better result but you do risk pinking if you overdo it Derek
Reply to
Del

Agree that the clamp could not be more difficult to get at on a hot engine. You did say that your RR is fuel injected didn't you?

My workshop manual (Range Rover Book One All models from 1986) states the following for V8 3.5 engines:

For FI the setting is TDC +/- 1 deg static or dynamic.

For carburettors the setting is 6 deg BTDC at 650 - 750 rpm with the vacuum advance disconnected.

However, these settings are for 96 octane and for my 1988 3.5 SE running unleaded I just rotate the distrubutor until the engine pinks on my (steep) hill and then back off slightly until it stops. Seems to work for me.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage