Range Rover alternator fault...Possibly

I posted this message earlier but under a title that may have not attracted any attention!!!!

I have two problems.......

'91 3.9 Vogue se:

  1. After driving for a few miles the battery warning light starts to glow dimly.
  2. The rev counter registers zero at tick over and reaches maybe 2000 rpm max irrespective of the actual engine speed.

The battery seems to be retaining its charge

All is ok when starting and running for the first few miles, and at engine off, all warning lights show brightly as they should.

I have heard that the two problems detailed above could be linked to a faulty alternator?????anyone had a similar experience????

AlunP

Reply to
AlunP

Sorry about the repost but good old Outlook failed to show any replies to my message earlier.

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

I've had the dim battery light problem, but not on LR's or RR's. Both times it was the Diode pack on the alternator. The battery lasted about a week before it needed a boost to start it.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

There is clearly a fault as i have checked all the connections etc and it seems to make no difference. I do not like driving not knowing whether the vehicle will start again!!!!!! however, at start up the voltages at the battery with and without a load are good and correct but i feel it needs to be corrected especially as the rev counter, which feeds from the alternator, is mis-reading as well........something not right that I dont want to leave.

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

As a result of my post...............

Contacted my local Auto Electrical services emporium and the fault has been diagnosed as a defective diode pack in the alternator which, apparently, means it is working in 2 phase not 3 (??????). The fault would also affect the operation of the rev counter, which it is.

Cost: £68 exchange.

So not a bad result.

AlunP

Reply to