1990 Range Rover Vogue SE - rev counter needle "stuck"

Hello, I've recently aquired a RR Vogue SE with an LPG conversion. It runs OK but it's got all lot of 'niggles' that I probably have to sort out over time.

The most annoying one at the moment is the rev counter - when I start the engine, it hovers at something like 950 rpm and never moves anywhere else. A quick google suggests that the rev counter is driven off the alternator on these cars. The alternator appears to be working as I drove the car for about two hours in the dark - it's either got one *large* battery or the alternator is still charging...

The PO said that the rev counter was working when he got the car but stopped working soon after. But then again, they'd all say that.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to where to start looking?

TIA, Timo

Reply to
Timo Geusch

During stardate Mon, 03 Oct 2005 15:40:53 +0100, "Timo Geusch" uttered the imortal words:

What gas system have you got? I.e. if it's an injection system is the input for the revs interfering with your rev counter.

Just a thought.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In news: snipped-for-privacy@nermal.unix-consult.com, Timo Geusch blithered:

Guess, check that the fitted alternator is correct for the vehicle. IE it has the output connection for the tacho.

Reply to
GbH

In news: snipped-for-privacy@nermal.unix-consult.com, Timo Geusch decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

You'll find there are a lot of Range Rovers out there without working rev counters. Out of all the ones I've known, mine is one of the few to actually work, although it doesn't do much over 4500 rpm, it's hardly an issue when it's very rare to rev one that high anyway.

By the way, how much did you give for it? I've got a 1989 Vogue SE with LPG at the moment...

Reply to
Pete M

No idea...

Bit of a change from the Legacy, eh!

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Ah, the "they all do that sir" defence. I should have known...

About 1500 as p/x type deal. I'm not exactly madly in love with it but it's early days. It needs a bloody good clean on the inside and then I'm going to play with it a bit but I can see it on fleabay fairly soon...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Oh great, you can't go anywhere without a UKRMer or two watching...

Indeed it is a bit of a change, although I'm kinda surprised that it does handle pretty. But someone's obviously fitted a handling kit to it. That'll explain that one then...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

the spade connector regularly falls off the back of the alternators it only supplies the tacho so will not affect the charging. Fish the short loom from behind the alternator and replace the spade with a decent one I will guess that itmay just be a poor connection (anyway cheaper if you check this first)- get used to the idea the electrics were the weak points on BMC Leyland BL cars of this era ( I will not get on my soapbox)

If you have problems with the electric seat controls 'switch cleaner spray' does the biz Derek

Reply to
Derek

Pre Timo'd then.

Reply to
Malc

In news:sjB0f.121909$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Malc decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Heh, I'm on the lookout for a Subaru Legacy Turbo now... values appear to have plummeted.

Reply to
Pete M

AFAICT the rev counter is triggered from an ac pulse from one of the alternator windings and if so then I would find it difficult to believe that it should stick at 950 unless the rev counter itself is faulty or maybe the pulley on the alternator is slipping on the shaft as the speed goes past 950 due to the increasing output and therefore load. I would try a second hand counter if the pulley seems tight enough. Martin

Reply to
Oily

Actually, the rev counter goes up to about 950 as soon as the ignition is turned on so this seems to be some kind of "there's juice' behaviour.

Currently looking for a second hand counter but I'd like to verify that the alternator is getting a pulse. I assume one would need a scope for that?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Well, I don't know how it works but mine is a Tdi and it triggers with a small white wire on the alternator but yours may pick up from near the ignition coil. Sounds like it's connected to a dc source but , not having a wiring diagram, I've no idea how it works. Failing that I've got 2 or 3 s/hand counters lying about that you can try if you're anywhere near east Manchester. I know it is an ac feed from the alternator because I have used a 17ACR type on a Disco and picked up from one of the phases before the rectifier to make it work. Martin.

Reply to
Oily

Just wondering, the AC equipped Rangies have a much more powerful alternator than the non-AC ones.. which has yours got?

Reply to
Pete M

It's non-AC equipped and has a rather small alternator...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

From what I understand they all use the trigger on the alternator. Wire is present - I checked that - and the contact seems OKish.

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I'm down in the South East near Dover...

My money is on a bust rev counter at the moment...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Worked out what it's doing MPG equivalent wise yet?

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

I'm too frightened to do that...

Actually I've finally got around to filling it up with LPG so that'll be the next interesting experiment.

It's supposed to do about 150 miles on 60 litres of LPG.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

LOL

The equivalent of around 25mpg if it does... yes, I'd probably not try and think too much about what it's doing when run on petrol, as well. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Indeedy. I'm not a big fan of 4x4s although I've kind of wanted a Rangy for some time. However I'm getting the impression that I don't like it

*that* much (although it's a practical car) so, thirst quenched it'll probably go on fleabay once the paperwork turns up. Gives me a bit of time to spruce it up a tad.
Reply to
Timo Geusch