Range Rover Sport

Just read the road test back to back of the RR Sport the equivalent X5 4.8 and the Porsche Cayenne Turbo in Autocar this week. Looks good even if it was beaten by the X5 overall. But, LR really do have to address the excess weight of their vehicles, first the new Disco 3 and now the RR Sport spinoff is much heavier than it's competitors with all the problems that causes for it.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Unless one is looking for an off-road vehicle (as opposed to a 4 wheel drive), in which case none of the vehicles above need apply. If LR want to compete on even terms with X5's etc then they need a whole new vehicle, which would no longer be a Land Rover and may as well have a Ford badge to avoid diluting even further the marques image. X5's etc simply reinforce the anti-4x4 peoples case and are gong to do untold harm to those of us who actually go off-road (i.e. not just National Trust car parks and insisting on parking with two wheels on the kerb) and/or use our vehicles off-road for work.

Sorry if I've upset anyone, but BMW, VW, Porsch (actually VW with a spot of badge engineering) and even the current Shoguns (have a look at the ground clearance) are all utterly pointless vehicles - their owners would be much better off with a

4 wheel drive MPV, though slightly less inflated ego's.

Rant over!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Tue, 5 Apr 2005 23:52:29 +0100, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

I gather the Cayenne is no lightweight, though - 's just got a monster sod-off engine...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I disagree, in part. They are not pointless, though they are not ideal as working vehicles in tough off-road conditions. Land Rover (so far) still provide a very good vehicle for this, comparatively small, market. Whilst the larger estates from Volvo, BMW et al do a fine job (and I've got one), they not as good load carriers, not as good tow vehicles and do not provide they great driving position of the 4x4 vehicles.

I agree that 4x4 is a complete waste of a gearbox or three for many buyers, but then again lots of people have spare bedrooms and we don't force them to move house. It's called freedom, long may it reign.

From Land Rover's perspective, their market requires these vehicles. That they are selling in huge numbers proves the point, as do the waiting lists for the BMW X3 and the profit figures from the Range Rover. If they do not respond and provide a product the market requires they will fail as a business.

As for 'protecting the marque's image' - excuse me? They have a lamentable reputation far and wide. Since day one every vehicle they have produced is still the best off-roader in its class bar none, including the Range Rover Sport. Improving quality and meeting customer demand is the only way to improve that reputation. Pushing the image of military equipment and agricultural machinery would be marketing suicide.

Remember the British motorbike industry? No, neither do I.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

..... with power and torque all in the wrong places - one thing (up to Td5) LR always got right - the capacity and and pure horse power are far less important that lb/ft at low revs to those who want a *work* vehicle for off road use - the very market LR created.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

"Austin Shackles" wrote after "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

Figures from Autocar...

BMW X5 4.8is 2275Kg. 360bhp. 369lb ft . 0-62 in 6.1 sec

LR RR Sport 2572Kg. 390bhp. 405lb ft. 0-60 in 7.2 sec

Porsche Cayenne Turbo 2355Kg. 444bhp. 457lb ft. 0-60 in 5.4 sec

So you can see the effect of the extra weight, if it was as light as the BMW (300Kg lighter) it would be close to the Porsche in performance.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

"beamendsltd" wrote

A 4x4 MPV, that'll be the forthcoming Mercedes R class then. Slightly less inflated egos? I think not. :-)

How about the proposed new Bentley 4x4 powered by the W12 450bhp engine, that will get people up in arms in this country. A Bentley (lorry) on stilts. The Arabs and Yanks will love it.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Mitsubishi do a nice little 4x4 mpv, good ground clearance too, woman near me has just got one.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Angle Grinder YKIMS