Re: Disco 3, future problems. Interesting tale.

Badger,

There were a few photos of D3's having body off services on mud-club. ISTR it's body off if you put petrol in the diesel too.....

Many dealerships had to have upgraded ramps to take into account the body off servicing......

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Dunno on that vehicle but I know on some cars, once they get past a certain age the owners or mechanics tend to cut access panels in bodywork to get at the more stupid bits. An example of that is in some versions of the Lotus Esprit, they cut an access panel between the engine bay and the passenger compartment to allow them to change the cam belt without having to lift the engine out. The cam belt is at the front of the engine, which is about an inch from the firewall between the engine compartment and passenger compartment.

The body isn't structural on the esprit though, it's about as stiff as wet lettuce, not so sure on the D3.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Must admit, I haven't heard of it before Richard. But from other comments by Neil, it would seem it's been designed that way deliberately. Crazy. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Indeed - patricularly for a supposed off-road vehicle that can cope with all environments, as long as there's a fully equipped workshop handy. Like in the fastest growing market, China, where *eveyone* has a TestBook and Engine crane in their back pocket. Never mind the Africa. And India. Oh, and South America. Austrailia I'd imagine has the engine crane to hand. Eastern Eruope? I'm sure thay have TestBooks on every street market (well, thinking about it, they probably do!). So the market is Europe and the US then! Off-road vehicle. Ha!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Land Rover have made it easy to do this, since there is still a separate chassis, making this kind of operation easier. You see my point, only a few disconnections as mentioned above, don't understand why it takes 4 hours though. Gordon>

Reply to
Spanner

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Nah, you can corner a market here in roof mounted winches, Simply drive under the nearest Tree and Bobs your uncle ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Thu, 2 Nov 2006 09:30:43 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

cut an access panel...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 2 Nov 2006 10:32:54 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

sounds like the thermostat on the hillman imp.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yep, after stripping out the whole of the dash, the heater box, soundproofing etc etc.... it might just be quicker to remove the body! Badger.

"The merest thought hadn't even begun to speculate about the slightest possibility of crossing my mind."

Reply to
Badger

Memories of 'The Gods Must Be Crazy'...

Reply to