Re: Discovery Leaks everywhere

Only if we can make it like Drop Dead Fred did!

Reply to
Nikki

> Hello all. New at this but my Discovery 1994 is got old.

> > Here is my pressing problem and worry: The front axle case. > > The case developed a hole about 3x3 mm due to rust and road hazard > > not to mention the cheap construction for such a vital and exposed > > part. Oil has been leaking for a while but did pinp point the source > > until I took a rag and scrubed around and my finger punched a hole > > into the wall of the case. > > > > My discovery is NOT used off road > > > > My question: what to do? > > > > Is there a way to repair/weld/patch the hole in such a weak wall? > > > > Is replacing the entire axle the only solution? > > Where can I get a used axle in Germany? > > > > and after the problem is repaired how to avoid the same again? > > > > please please any help is welcome. > > > > > > > > I will post my other leaks after the front axle is done. > > > > Bill > > Just weld up the hole and calm down. > > -- > Julian > --------- > = Pretentious Sig required =

Thanks Julian,

Welding it? uhmm... just the heat of the torch will melt the whole thing. As I have stated, the wall is so thin that resembles that of an egg shell and it looks like aluminun or some cheap sheet metal. How can "they make" such cr*p. has anybody fixed something like this before?

Reply to
rabi

The front axle is very handy for resting your pasty on while fixing the other bits you broke! And I'm afraid I'm an obsessive underbody washer! :)

Reply to
Exit

Yep - you drain the oil, cut the old front off and weld the new one on - you can mail order them from advertisers in any of the 4 Land Rover magazines though they are intended for people who have cracked theirs off-roading - not going like yours has.

I've run several over the past 15 years and all have been thick metal - yours must've been abused by the previous owner or wrongly made.

Good luck! :)

Reply to
Exit

Julian, Bill again. Thanks for the help. I will keep an eye on this NG and hopefully I will make my contribution to someone.

Again...million thanks Bill

Reply to
rabi