Re: Discovery maintenance.

On 19/8/03 11:43 pm, in article =

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

" snipped-for-privacy@> >> Assuming a well-maintained 2000 Disco II, used mainly on-road but with >> frequent towing (4K lb boat/trailer), what major repairs at what cost = can >> be expected on a Discovery Series II at what mileage? For example, = I've >> heard that replacing axle seals is likely at about 90K miles for a = cost of >> around $3K. Sound accurate? >>=20 >> Thanks, >>=20 >> LB > >Hmmmm! > >I think we have a troll here, never replies to anyone's posts?

The question was genuine. =20

We're in the process of determining whether to trade a 2000 Disco II on = an '03 Disco or not. During the discussions the salesman strongly = recommended that if we do not buy new we should purchase an extended warranty to = cover major mechanical repairs to 100K miles. He noted that a Disco is almost certainly going to need axle and other seals by 90K miles with parts and labor at $3K or more.=20

I've never purchased an extended warranty but thought I should explore further.

LB

Margaret & Loren Block Georgetown, TX C22 #14903 "Perfect Harmony"

Reply to
<lorendi

Front oil seals were done on my 95 Discovery at about 110,000 miles. I remember the cost being about £100. For $3K you could probably swap both axles for brand new.

The salesman is trying to sell you a warranty, or scare you into buying new. I suspect most warranties would specifically exclude wear items, which would count out the seals anyway.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

As a US poster (?) I'd guess you have a V8. If it has been well serviced it should see you way into 6 figure mileage without problems

- my engine is currently at 130K and in good shape without any expense other than servicing.

Gearboxes used to be a bit fragile on earlier models, especially manual gearboxes and clutches. You probably have an auto - they are very strong units that don't give many problems.

Glitches are likely to be electrical, minor issues with corrosion (especially if you are towing that boat in and out of salt water) and the normal wear and tear on springs and shock absorbers. Suspension components are cheap (at least in the UK) and easy to fit. Air suspension can be a bit more tricky.

I keep thinking I'd like to swap my 1995 Discovery for a new one, but whenever I sit in one at the dealer I can't find anything that it will do that mine won't. I'll keep mine for at least another year I reckon, then get a new one when the current one gets troublesome.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

No it ain't. I've been replying to his questions this week and he hasn't bothered to reply before. However, he's improving, maybe he isn't a troll after all. A bit of courtesy wouldn't go amiss from him, that's all! Apologies.

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Seconded in my opinion.

It's one of the reasons why I've switched to changing to new Discoverys every three years - warranty issues!

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Thanks to all replies. I will definitely pass on the extended warranty option if we do not buy new. I didn't believe the salesman's prediction about likely maintenance costs but thought it was worth some research.

Our current vehicle is a 2000 Disco II with 44K miles and needing tires. I'm an old retired guy, non-mechancial, and concerned about not having a warranty on a Land Rover. LRs in USA have a fairly poor reputation for reliability but we've been delighted with ours. We've not had a single problem (but several ACE recalls) in almost 4 years. In fact, we had a serious highway accident where the LR behaved magnificently. =20

The warranty here is 50K miles or 4 years so we need to make a decision soon. We're haggling over trade-in value and our requirements with 2003 inventory becoming slim. We may end up getting new tires on the 2000 or going for a 2004.

Thanks again,

Loren

Margaret & Loren Block Georgetown, TX C22 #14903 "Perfect Harmony"

Reply to
<lorendi

On or around Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:57:18 +0100, Llandrovers! enlightened us thusly:

don't think so. he has replied up there a bit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:48:49 -0500, enlightened us thusly:

different country, etc., but I once bought a second-hand car with a "warranty" on it, which is no such thing. It's basically breakdown insurance, and had, when I read the list, a most impressive number of things excluded from cover. Unless it's very cheap, don't bother - It does cover you for something like a diff breaking, or a gearbox falling apart, or the engine blowing up terminally, but apart from that...

YWMV.

Reply to
Austin Shackles