Re: "New" gearbox needed

Hi

> > The gearbox in my 1970 series IIA is falling apart - first gear appears > to have some damaged/missing teeth and I think the layshaft bearings are > on their way out. I'm looking for a late suffix (non-syncro) IIA box to > replace it with, I'm not too fussed about condition beyond casing not > damaged and serviceable shafts/gears would be nice as well since I will > be rebuilding it. Does anyone have a spare box they could let go of? > > Alternately, if I can't find a II/IIA box as they seem to be scarce on > eBay, I may fit a D suffix SIII box, however I have read conflicting > information on this. Some say that you can fit an SIII box using the SII > bellhousing and clutch parts, some say you must use the SIII bellhousing > and clutch parts. Does anyone have any insights/experience into this?

AIUI the bellhousings are totally interchangeable between all IIA and III gearboxes. I'm sure that an equal and opposite expert will be along shortly to prove me wrong.

Reply to
EMB

That's what I thought. The only diffenrece between the 11a and 3 being the syncro on first, which meant the 3 layshaft was one piece with narrower gears as a result??

I may have one I was holding for someone here but it will be an effort to unearth it.

Where is it needed?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

"EMB" wrote.......

The bellhousings are all interchangeable to the main casing but it's not quite so simple. 2A bellhousings are deeper to accomodate the early coil spring clutch cover and release mechanism. When this was upgraded to diaphragm spring operation and 9 1/2" plate, a spacing boss was fitted to the spring tines on the cover plate but discarded on the shallower Series 3 which had a shorter bellhousing. The clutch slave cylinder on the Series 3 is also on the opposite side of the housing and if you want to keep the original setup you can fit the 2A housing on the main box quite easily but you will need to change the constant mesh gear pair. To fit the Series 3 gearbox you will also need a Series 3 clutch, the slave cylinder and associated piping and need to cut the left hand side gusset plate at the front on the gearbox crossmember under the bellhousing. Not that you would want to do it but the Series 3 bellhousing will fit on the 2A main casing but not with the original gear set

Oh, and I don't know where you are but I have plenty of new bearings (genuine parts) and gears etc new and s/hand for your 2A, and gaskets. I don't repair these any more (I'm too old) but have still got some stock.

Reply to
Oily

I'm in Gosport (south england)

Reply to
Daniel Collins

Gosport (on the south coast of england), do you know which suffix the spare box is?

Thanks

Reply to
Daniel Collins

No, tell me where to look and I'll root around for it. There's no knowing what condition it's in, the owner emigrated and said it was good when I picked it up.

I'm working Brockenhurst this weekend nights so will commute via M3-M27

AJH

Reply to
andrew

I belive it should either be stamped on top of the transfer box, on the raised end which bolts to the gearbox, or on the gearbox top cover.

Thanks

Reply to
Daniel Collins

The bell housing is detached and there is some rust, the layshaft seems to be one piece so series 3 sn90104992

AJH

Reply to
andrew

I'm not sure I understand this, are you saying I only need to replace the input pinion and layshaft input gear to use a S3 box in an S2 with the existing bellhousing and clutch assembly?

Reply to
Daniel Collins

I dont know about the later IIa/III boxes, but the bellhousings are not interchangeable on early IIa boxes. Series IIA 2.25 Suffix A and B boxes have different layshaft front bearings and the bellhousings are not interchangeable. These bellhousings/gearboxes will certainly not fit anything SIII.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Transfer boxes have thier own serial numbers with suffix letters stamped on them, they differ as well. the gearbox number is on the top plate that covers the selector linkages.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I was under the impression that the layshaft front bearing changed when the II became the IIa.

Reply to
EMB

bellhousing

The series 3 layshaft will not fit the early small bearing bellhousing but you could certainly change enough parts/ shafts to effect a repair and make it fit, you could even turn the shaft down to fit the bearing. You have no reason to go to this much trouble. If you have a spare, good series 3 box and you want to keep it appearing original then you can fit the 2A bellhousing on to any series 3 gearbox providing you also change the input shaft with constant gear pair as I said before. Anything and every type can be adapted to fit with not too much trouble, it just depends on your spares availability and situation. Therefore I beg to differ.

Reply to
Oily

The bellhousing casting for suffix A/B boxes has a smaller hole to locate the early, smaller layshaft front bearing. Turning a layshaft down to accept this bearing would not be a good idea, the layshaft bearing was increased in size because the power/torque available from the 2.25 engine was causing premature layshaft bearing failure. The A/B boxes also have differing ratios for 1st/reverse to adjust for the change in transfer box ratio that occoured between the two boxes due to a change in size of the transfer box intermediate shaft. These changes were implemented in early Series IIA production when the introduction of the larger engines showed permature failures in these components, as the gearbox otherwise largely the same as fitted to the IOE engine.

Therefore fitting a IIA Suffix A/B bellhousing to a S3 gearbox is impossible without major work to the gearbox.

Reply to
Alex

"Alex" wrote............

FFS. I didn't say it was a good idea, I said it could be done. Someone asked a question and got an answer. I see you don't argue with the rest of it as you obviously do not know.

The

Tell me something I don't know

IIA Suffix A/B, with big bearing?? He did say it was 1970! Major?? As I have said *twice* before, just put in the constant mesh gears as well. Tosser, now FRO.

Reply to
Oily

Once again, you completely miss the point. I shall explain it in words of one syllable.

You can not fit a bell hous-ing from an ear-ly box with the small lay-shaft bear-ing to a box with the big lay-shaft bear-ing. It does not mat-ter how many times you swap the cons-tant mesh gears the lay-shaft will not fit the bear-ing. And you can-not fit the com-plete lay-shaft from the ear-ly box to the la-ter box be-cause the gear rat-io-s are diff-er-ent

Now f*ck off before i sling a suffix A bellhousing at you.

Reply to
Alex

Yes, exactly that, using the bellhousing, front cover, input shaft and front layshaft gear from the 2A providing the front layshaft bearing is the same size as the series 3, and of course, the front gear pair from the 2A are not damaged. As you say the car is a 1970 2A you should be ok but there is a possibility that an earlier Series2 gearbox has been fitted which has the smaller front bearing as Alex pointed out, quite likely as it is nearly 40 years old. As EMB pointed out, they are all interchangeable as far as the fitment of the bellhousing to the main casing but some replacements would need quite a lot of work and sorting of parts. Fitting the Series3 does give you all synchro forward gears and a stronger box but a weaker reverse.

Reply to
Oily

You don't know much do you? Can you do joined up writing or is that also too much to understand?

Reply to
Oily