Recommendations on painting gelcoated GRP?

I've just fitted a QT light pod to the front of my (still seeking a name - suggestions please?) Disco and decided that a pure white pod on the front of a charcoal gray car doesn't look great.

Anybody got any recommendations on what I need to do to paint this? I'm planning on getting a couple of aerosol cans from LR (Arken Gray) to do the final coats with, it's the keying and priming the sealed GRP I'm wondering about.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Nothing I can say specific to GRP, but in my experience plastics of all kinds benefit from thorough cleaning to remove traces of mould release agents.

Reply to
David G. Bell

'Pussywagon'

!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

In consultation with 'er indoors we've decided that nice suggestion as it was we'll keep looing.

Don't call us.....

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

hehehehe - I take it you aint seen Kill Bill!

I actually saw a truck with it on the sunvisor the other day!!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

I saw a truck the other day with 'T2' Arnold Schwartzenenegeger...whatever...painted all over the cab...artwork was very bad. I also saw several trucks one night with what can only be described as 'disco rope lights' (you know the ones I mean!) around the cab seats!!! Whats that all about? What a strange breed! They probably think the same about us though!

Reply to
Wolverine

Erm, as one of *both* breeds (does that make me a halfbreed or twins?) I have to say, yes, you are all very strange. The thing about the ropelights, paint, furry dice etc in the trucks is that for a lot of the drivers, the truck is their home for long periods of time...I used to be out of the country for several months at a time...and anything to make the place *yours* is welcomed. It's not as if you can wallpaper it or install a water feature (Although I did know a guy who had a Steyr truck, and he had a Portapotti in it...this was fine until the emergency stop.....you really didn;t want to go in his cab after that...

Gaz The Hunter

Reply to
Gaz Webber

Start with a tin of panelwipe and some rag. Then flat surface with scotchbrite pad to key it, then another wipe over with panelwipe to eliminate all dust. Prime with epoxy primer (almost any synthetic based primer will do the job, as long as you don't try to use self-etch!) and apply top coat as soon as primer is touch dry. Solvent in paint will key paint to primer as the primer hasn't hardened yet. Leave for 2 days, preferably in a relatively warm place. Badger.

Reply to
Badger