Reduction in oil additives vcausing problems?

I've just come across a discussion elsewhere about the reduction in additives in engine oils (zinc dialykl dithiophosphate ZDDP etc) having a seriously detrimental affect on older engines with flat tappets, does anyone know if this is relevant to Land Rover 2 1/4 petrol engines by any chance? Greg

Reply to
Greg

They have roller tappets, so no problems there.

Reply to
EMB

Ok thanks, they were only talking about cams and followers failing prematurely so it sounds irrelevant to us. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Greg,

There is a detailed discussion on the Austin Healey Forum here:

Seems that there is well documented detail of very early life failure on some cam / tappet combinations.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks Andrew, I just got worried that my nice recon engine was at risk from this new 'improved' oil as they're talking about engines built in the 90's destroying a camshaft after a few hundred miles!. Apparently Land Rover were making them better 20 years earlier 8-). Greg

Reply to
Greg

There's quite a lengthy article about this on uk.rec.engines.stationary from a website

reproduced with permission.

Martin

Reply to
Oily