RR Bullbars

When mounting bullbars, are the standard bumper bolts long enough or is it neccesary to get longer ones? If so from where?

TIA Alistair

Reply to
737 FLF

On or around Wed, 01 Sep 2004 02:47:23 GMT, "737 FLF" enlightened us thusly:

I think the standard ones will do. the bullbar mounting plates on LR bullbars are about 6mm thick - if there's that much spare thread, then they're long enough.

bloody LR and spare thread, grrr... had occasion to remove (rahter than just fold) one of the rear seats in one of the discos. No problem, just undo these 4 little bolts...

except the buggers are about 20mm longer than they need to be and the bit that's too long sticks out underneath the floor to get rusty. Of course, one sheared...

so now it has 3 bolts. But at least they're stainless, so they might come undone properly next time. They're also about 10mm shorter, and the only reason they're not 20mm shorter is I've run out of that size.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Don't use stainless bolts on the bullbar. Use high tensile bolts if you intend to use the recovery points on the bar. Stainless bolts are only about as strong as mild steel.

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts

On or around Fri, 3 Sep 2004 23:15:26 +1000, "The Becketts" enlightened us thusly:

depending on the quality, mind. A2-80 are not far off 8.8 High tensile. not that most stainless are that spec. A2-70 are common, which ain't quite so tough.

mind, I'd not use a bull bar on standard bumper mounts as a recovery point meself from choice. the bumper mounting bolts are none too big and only 4 of 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

They do look a bit weedy, but since JATE rings only use one (each) I assume they would be up to it.

Nick

Reply to
Nicknelsonleeds

On or around 04 Sep 2004 05:06:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Nicknelsonleeds) enlightened us thusly:

I suppose. They're 7/16" bolts AFAIK, and the load is in shear, it should be possible to calculate.

which reminds me, I've got to look into strengths of steel anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My JATEs came with A2-80 bolts of their own to replace the bumper mount bolts. I've never actually met a set that used the OE bumper mounting bolts.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Different materials, and how they're fixed to the chassis...

Reply to
David G. Bell

Materials yes, but they share the bottom mounting bolt on the front bumper - it's only at the rear they have a separate mount.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown