RR Classic Wiring Advice

I have a 93 Classic that has developed an interesting fault and need some advice. With my wife driving the other day with the air conditioning on the fan stopped. Turns out the HVAC fan, radio, dome light / convenience circuit and power driver's (LF) seat circuits are gone. Circuit breakers are all intact. Bad ground? Anyone ever have this fault or suggestions on how to fix? The dealer can't see it until the end of the month, and of course I am 6 feet 7 inches and with the seat stuck all the way forward I am stuck with the family van.

Reply to
calvin.gibson

Don't let the wife drive it again!

(Sorry, couldnt resist!!)

Reply to
cjward

Reply to
calvin.gibson

Just look intact or tested and confirmed? It's not unknown for a fuse to look fine but to be open circuit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have you checked the fuses under the seats?

Reply to
SimonJ

Reply to
calvin.gibson

Can you check for power to the fuse holder with a multi-meter? ( or a bulb on a wire!). If you have power to the fuse then can you get at the power supply to one of the components like the seat motor to check if you've power to that? Somewhere you should lose the power in the line and that'll give you a clue as to where the wire fault is.

If you have power to all the components I would guess an earth wire has come adrift as you suggest.

If you can get to the wiring looms ( they are nicely exposed on old Disco's!) it's worth giving them a waggle to see if you can get the components working again, that will also tell you roughly where the fault is.

Finally, bypass the switchgear with a 12v +ve wire direct from the battery to the power side of a safe component like the faulty dome light and see if you can get it to light up when it's switched on. If it will it's a power supply fault, if it won't it's an earth fault - but don't hold me responsible if this blows anything - I only do electrics on old simple motors!

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB