RRC replacement - any ideas?

This might be a little premature having spent my last two threads discussing broken springs but . . .

Having lived with the joy and pain of my 3.5 Auto Vogue SE 1988 RRC for possibly 10 years I'm beginning to lose my sense of humour and wondering what to replace it with. How do people make a choice? I'm definitely not having another RR. It must be less than 6' high but have loads of headroom. Friend has an Izuzu Trooper 3.1TD Citation which seems wonderful by comparison, especially the proper rear door!

Looking forward to a vigorous exchange of ideas!

Oh and how do I put a realistic value on it? I suspect zero might be the magic figure!

Reply to
Richard Savage

For a proper rear door you could look at the Discovery - very similar to the Rangie under the skin, but also taller (just shy of 2m with all the roof bar gubbins).

If I was buying a big 4x4 today it would be (hangs head) a Nissan Patrol. Although once the new Discovery is on Version 1.1 I could be tempted... Only 33 months to go on the Volvo lease!

FWIW, to make a 'sensible' decision I think you need to start by working out what vehicle you absolutely need. I always thought I needed a Discovery because I had three dogs, and it had to be V8 because the diesel is too slow.

Proper thought showed that I rarely carry more than 2 dogs at a time, and decent estate car can hold two biggish dogs in kennels quite easily. I also do mostly motorway miles, often in heavy traffic. Thus I needed an easy cruiser, with comfy seats and an auto box. I do big miles, so a new car wasn't worthwhile - it would only be new for a couple of weeks. But it had to be reliable, and within easy reach of a main dealer to look after it under warranty.

Thus, it turned out that logically I needed a Volvo. And because of the way I reclaim my business mileage, a petrol engine worked better for me than the more expensive diesel. It's the sensible choice, and actually I like it a lot because it really does meet my needs. But I'll never really care about it...

They seem to be very low in value, even in good condition. I suspect that if you find a good one they are excellent value, or completely ruinous if you don't. I'd say you'll be lucky to see more than a grand for it. Which makes you wonder if it is worth selling it...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Yes but it is, as you say, too tall. It MUST go under the 6' height restriction.

Proper thought indicates that I use my 1t trailer infrequently, i.e. when it is the only solution rather than as first choice because I can throw all manner of c*** in the RR occasionally. I only infrequently struggle out of sodden mine-filth clarted clothes in the pouring rain on Welsh mountainsides. I only infrequently drive in size 12 wellies. Ditto do I carry ladders. I only infrequently cart boots full of tools to remote youth hostels to spend weekends bodging up the previous volunteers bodges. Ditto do I carry bicycles.

All those infrequent uses to add up to a fairly good reason for something like a transit van!

Every time I drive SWMBO's SAAB 95 I put my licence at risk, so a saloon-size vehicle is probably unwise.

I am tempted by something like a Subaru Legacy tho' ;-)

I'm not really interested in selling it, rather I'm interested in not spending any more time and money keeping it running. It's fast becoming tatty - rotting top tailgate, fallen headlining, lacquer lifting off the roof paint etc. In the last year I have replaced the wiper motor and had the head gasket changed - both stupid sums for what I got in return. The into-reverse-clunk on the auto box sounds as though it's getting worse, I'm just about to replace the rear springs as one has broken. Really I'm expecting it to deteriorate at an increasing rate. I suppose that's the answer - continue to run it into the ground. If the o/p shaft from the autobox strips that will be a beyond-economic-repair fault which will force me to dump it. Annoying really as it's an Ashcroft replacement box.

Also it really doesn't have enough headroom for me. This wasn't a problem in the early years as I only used it for SDP but now I commute in it 5 days a week it's getting rather boring. BUT, it's great to drive . . . when it's working.

I really do like the Trooper!!! (hangs head in shame)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Only the remote nature of the dealer and slightly poor fuel economy counted out the Legacy 3.0 in favour of the Volvo. My Dad has an Outback H6 in Australia which is a really good car, though it offers little practical benefit over the Legacy for most use.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

We did have a Subaru dealer in Sevenoaks, which accounts for the large number of said beasties locally. Unfortunately it has closed. Fuel consumption??? Remember that I'm looking to replace a 3.5 EFi auto so even a dreadfull sub-30 mpg will seem positively frugal.

TTFN

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Not sure what Dad gets from the H6, but ISTR it worked out at low 20's in proper money. Which doesn't much matter at 90 cents per litre (approx 2.4 exchange rate)...

I traded from an LPG Discovery which was giving me equivalent to 31 mpg. The Volvo is averaging at about 30.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

'Tis academic really, 'cos I doubt that SWMBO will sanction a Subaru. She can see the point of a Trooper type vehicle but not the idea of a

4WD saloon/estate. Having said that, my brother (currently in Aus for an indefinite stay) has said that I can fit a tow hitch to his Audi Coupe Quattro. So maybe I will dispose of the RR ...... Bang goes my license!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage