Satellite spy in every vehicle

Just heard on the news that the government are to set up a GPS based system that tracks every vehicle - Speed - direction - position. Enabling instant traffic fines, pinpointing every vehicles movements and charging for road use over the entire UK road network. What price human rights and civil liberties now?

Next stage - computer chipping of people!!!

Big Brother has arrived - God bless us all!!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I doubt if it would be practical in all vehicles due to the electrics, I suppose there will be a vintage vehicle clause, question is what year the cut off will be, another point is how will they police it, because if you don't have it fitted they will no longer know you are there, which will be very tempting for many I am sure.

If they ever force me to fit one I will fit it inside a Faraday cage :)

Reply to
Larry

That's what I've been saying for ages. Unfortunately the average man in the street does not appreciate just what GPS can do. If he/she was aware that his/her vehicle could be positioned to within yards and with a date/time stamp to within seconds they might realise how vulnerable they become. Would you trust the police and Government with that sort of information?

I suppose that I'll be forced to abandon my affair with Cherie!

Reply to
Dougal

In news:d7v7kj$ajj$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk, Larry blithered:

Seem to recall yer average motor car is a passable Faraday cage!

Reply to
GbH

A year or so ago one insurance company trialled this idea as a way of allowing people to pay for insurance depending on how much they drove, your premiums were calculated from GPS tracking logs. It was apparently a very popular trial. People will trade their freedom for simple conveniences any day.

Those who trumpet on about "if you've got nothing to hide" seem to forget that it's not us who decide what you have to hide and what you don't.

There'll be a big jump in sales of GPS signal degraders for sure.. It doesn't take much to swamp a satellite signal so they won't be hard to make.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

"Peter" wrote

George Orwell just got the date wrong then! I wonder if it will say "You are off the registered map" like my car one does if you go off-road. :-)

Interesting that ID Cards will cost us up to £300 each, whether we pay ourselves or through the tax system we will pay, and then they bring out this idea which will also cost us probably about the same amount per vehicle. All so their business friends can drive around on less congested roads, charge it to the firm like the congestion charge, and we, the end consumer, end up paying again on everything we buy.

Living as I do near just about the busiest part of the M25 my motoring Tax bill will go through the roof. Then if we all start returning to the B roads chaos will ensue.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Gents Hi,

just remember that most modern mobile phones already give your GPS reading when they are switched on regardless of whether you are using them (speak or hear)

Actually it is known that several Motorola late type mobile phones can be remotely activated so that "controllers" can hear what you say even when you are not speaking through them. They just hear what you say regardless of condition and status. Only if you remove the battery or the SIM card do they stop transmitting your voice and location.

Has anyone of you heard about Escelon by the way???? I am sure you did but do you realise that what we now discuss in being monitored and filtered for "strange" and suspicious words?

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

so Pantelis Giamarellos was, like...

Eschelon is a bit "old hat" now. Since 2000 the FBI has used software called Carnivore, or so I understand. I had assumed that email traffic has been routinely monitored by the intelligence folks for years. That's why I never use words like BOMB UZI TERRORIST ANTHRAX AK-47 RICIN SUICIDE MOSQUE SEMTEX REPUBLICAN PLUTONIUM RED BRIGADE JANE FONDA BAADER-MEINHOF KALASHNIKOV in my emails or newsgroup postings. Common sense, really.

Oh shit...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

GPS really? I thought the location of mobiles down to segmented base stations and to some extent signal strength via the TDM timing.

Yeah but any terrorist worth their salt is not going to be communicating in plain text. Plenty of encrpytion methods from fvzcyr ebgngvba or tvctujuvujpo to complex public key/private key non repeating systems.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave and Richard Hi,

we can still confuse them but avoiding all the words Richards has proposed and add a few more such as explosives, riot, Binn, Bush, George, Tony, John, Iraq, powder and so many more.

Richard thanks also for the proper spelling of Eschelon. I was sure I have writen it wrong the first time.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

How much will they charge me for roaring round and roundmy fav off road site, I must clock up at least 10 miles going round each time I'm there. Will it just read thre nearest road?

Tony

Reply to
Tony

"Larry" wrote in news:d7vva2$oqf$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

Quite right. Just heard that the scheme is to be scrapped. Instead, every driver is to be injected with a micro-chip, similar (but far more sophisticated) to the one used in dogs.

Tony is having the control panel installed in No. 10 and at the press of a button he will be able to halt every subject in the kingdom. Everyone will be tracked by GPS. It will be the end of crime and only the guilty will have anything to fear.

Everything is to be prohibited, except under licence.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

It's 'echelon' .

-- Pete

Reply to
Pete Young

name your source

Reply to
Natalie Drest

Isn't it Echelon? There is however a company called Eschelon.

Reply to
Natalie Drest

It is the heads buried in the sand that will allow this to become reality. Don't assume that it will go away - just be vigilant. Remember what GPS stand for:- Government - Police - State

You heard it hear first!!! Peter

Reply to
Peter

No. I've been hearing this crap for years.

Still waiting for a shred of evidence. Just one... No? Thought not...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Yes, and when I took my Austin-Healey BJ8 in it sent them into a tizz. They fill in a screen with reg number and vehicle make, but the maker is a drop down list WITHOUT Austin-Healey. They scratched their heads for ten minutes, decided to give up and do the MOT anyway and ring DVLA later, but found that when they aborted the form all the correct details appeared as if by magic.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You must work for Tony! Start with the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.

Reply to
Dougal

Where does that refer to contracts already awarded?

Where does it specify that the government can stop my car by remote control?

Looking forward to the references...

I don't like this government, but this bullshit is from the same mould as the people who thought RFID tags on supermarket products would let Tony track our movements. The slightest shred of technical knowledge would show it to be rubbish, but it doesn't stop the Daily Mail printing it or the general public believing it.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs