Seat Belts

For MOT Perposes does a 1971 sIIa have to have Seatbelts fitted?????????????

(I Know This Is A Stupid Question);-)

Simon

1 VERY POORLY 2A
Reply to
Simon Holdcroft

Take a look at

vehicles first used after Jan 1st 1965 require minimum 2 front seatbelts.

Reply to
Adrian England

Yes that's what I thought but mine is a 1974 S111 swb van and the MOT says under Seatbelts...N/A... and always has. (???) It did have some very old and damaged static belts when I bought it but it now has new inertia reel ones fitted.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

In article , Simon Holdcroft writes

Regardless of the 'right' answer, IMHO driving a LR without a seatbelt is just plain silly. The windscreen isn't very far away, neither is the steering column and there won't be a soft landing.

Reply to
John Halliwell

do you mean on the test certificate? this only relates to vehicles with 8 or more seats and is to do with a seat belt installation check so even a 2003 car would have n/a on it

andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Ah! That explains it then. But how the old static belts ever passed the test goodness knows.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Alex wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A few years ago I put my back out and found myself in a hospital, mostly full of people who had gone through the windscreen through not wearing a seat belt.

I recall one young girl in the next ward with a horribly scared face who was having to learn to do everything from square one. It was quite an occasion when she eventually managed to string a few words together to make a sentence. Apparently she had been quite a looker. The nurses said she wasn't well enough for them to let her have a mirror.

Sorry, but I don't think this is a subject for humour. A mate who is a copper emailed me a photo of a man who had his entire face removed by the steering column. I didn't find that particularly funny either.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

On or around Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:19:42 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

of course, that isn't always possible. Damage limitation may be a negative thing, but it's quite a good idea even so.

and I do wear me seatbelt.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Alex writes

If I thought it was dangerous to drive I wouldn't be spending a small fortune to put it back on the road. Seat belts are easy, cheap, effective and not inconvenient to wear.

Completely agree, but remember you don't always have the option to avoid the accident. There are some things you have little or no control over.

You maybe, but not the driver of a Volvo estate overtaking on a blind bend, charging towards you in your lane at high (and increasing) speed. This happened to me and there wasn't a thing I could do about it, fortunately he pulled back into his lane with about three feet to spare as he cut across the angle.

My IIa 109 didn't stop that badly, yes it's a heavy beast, but it has big brakes too.

Reply to
John Halliwell

I went "on tow" when I first got my S2A, I'd just brought it, it had broken, and it had no seatbelts. It does now...

My mate towed me at 45MPH down the A303, on a 3M strop with his disco. I wouldn't have been shaking so much when I stepped out at the other end IF I'd had the seatbelts in. The smell of burning brakes and flatulance... :)

Seatbelts may save you from death or very serious head injury, mine are only secondhand fixed belts, cost about 4 quid and 2 Hours time. worth it every time!

Reply to
Spozza