semi-serious...

Any thoughts on how difficult it'd be to convert a TD5 disco II to auto box from manual

1) using the 'box from another TD5?

2) using the 'box from a classic rangie or disco I?

I'm aware that 2) would need modifications to connect the kickdown cable, however the speeds/gear ratios look about right, comparing with the manual TD5: 5th gear is about 1900 revs at 50 mph, which is what the RR shows at lockup point on the ZF4HP22, and the TD5 will pull quite well at 1900 revs upwards.

In both cases would need a flexplate, would the flexplate from a genuine TD5 auto engine mate with the 4HP22 torque converter?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It'll never fit.

;)

Semi serious answer! :0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

The DII is fly by wire, where are you going to connect said cable to?

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Classic rangie was never fitted with TD5, only 200/300tdi and IIRC usually manual

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Austin, why not just chop it in and get one that is auto. Life is too short dude!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Thu, 16 Jul 2009 18:36:42 +0100, "Tim.." enlightened us thusly:

I'm sure I could invent something. Short answer: the throttle pedal.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:13:59 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

yeah I know, but a lot of V8s were and the ratios and revs on the road in the V8s are pretty similar to the TD5 manual disco. 5th in the TD5 disco is more or less exactly the same revs as lock-up 4th on the 3.9 vogue: about

1950 revs at 50. Or so say the rev counters. The TD5 pulls quite well from 2000 or so revs, and the 3.9, when pulling moderately hard, is running about 2300-2400 revs - you really have to nail it to get it revving much over 3000, and the instant you back off it changes up to 4th, or 4th-lockup, depending on road speed.

OK, the 3.9 has a bit more power than the TD5, but the 3.5s didn't have a lot more. And I could always chip it :-)

Thing is, a 'box from a classic rangie V8 is likely to be easier and cheaper to get than from a TD5 disco.

I guess I could buy an auto TD5, swap the 'boxes, then re-sell it as a manual.

And for why I don't simply buy an auto, see other post.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

EMB

On or around Mon, 20 Jul 2009 08:24:28 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

interesting high-budget option... and interesting that there's a box of tricks to control the electronic box available. Would be a good option if funds allow, in a regular TD5 auto, for reprogramming the shift points and so on. It's been said, with some truth, that the shift points don't work when towing hard, leading manual intervention to keep it in lower gears and reduce coverter slip and overheating. Mind, that's true of the older ones too.

I wonder why they bothered rebuilding a TD5 'box, rather than using a hydraulic one in the first place? The later box is a bit stronger, but I doubt it's an issue on the back of a TD5. I guess up to a point if you're rebuilding the box anyway, it doesn't make much difference which control block you fit.

maybe there are fitting issues with the torque converter etc.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Hi,

Ashcroft is also selling a totally hudraulicaly controled autobox conversion for the TD5 Defender.

I guess this kit will also be suitable for the Discovery TD5. After all it is the same engine.

the drawback of the hudraulicaly controled autobox is that it is not as "flexible" as the electrohydraulic one when kickdowns, gearchanges etc are required.

The box of tricks for the conversion is a gem. I have seen it operating as fitted on a TD5 Defender and a Discovery 1 fitted with a 4.6 V8 here in Greece and it definately makes gearchanges smoother, kickdowns more effective and at the proper revbands and more seriously it appears that the torque converter locks not only on fourth gear therefore giving better fuel economy on other gears apart from highway driving.

BUT that does not mean that the hydraulicaly controled autobox is not a better thing than the manual one. (but then again autoboxes are my favourites...)

------------------

As for the kickdown and the fly by wire pedal maybe attaching a special bracket to the existing pedal will provide a solution. I believe that if you remove the sensor from the pedal you will have no way to provide the signal to the sensor/actuator on top of the fuel "pump" on the engine. So how can you alter the revs?

Take care Pantelis

Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:25:59 +0300, "Pantelis Giamarellos" enlightened us thusly:

oh, I wouldn't remove the sensor, it wouldn't work. I'd do what you said, modify the pedal to allow attaching a cable.

Struck me when driving the TD5 disco and watching the revs, the gearing looks very similar to the effective gearing on the auto box in the V8 rangie. The 3.9 is more powerful of course, but the TD5 even in standard tune is not that far from the figures of the 3.5 V8s, on power and torque.

5th on the TD5 gives more or less exactly the same revs as 4th-lockup on the Rangiue - about 1950 revs at 50 mph, and the TD5 pulls well from about 2000 rpm up to about 3000, which equates to nearly 80 mph.

I'll have to have a looksee at Ashcroft's site, see what's on offer.

Reply to
Austin Shackles