Disco ll Auto Box in Defender

I slowly coming round to the conclusion that perhaps it is time to move on from the V8 Defender (50th Anniversary) but the lack of an auto option on new Defenders is a major deterrent.

I've recently come across Ashford Transmission who offer a conversion using the 4HP22EH box from the disco 2, with a new bellhousing and controlling it with the compushift.

Not having any experience of Discos I wonder who or what is Compushift and does anyone have any comments on this proposal.

Reply to
hugh

"hugh" wrote..

Bob Hobden

From the reviews I have seen and read, the Ashcroft's auto conversion on the new 2.4 Puma Defender looks very good indeed but it comes at one hell of a premium (around £5k ISTR), they do offer the same gearbox but without the compushift controls for less money. I seriously considered it for the new

110 I had but thankfully didn't invest the cash as the car was rubbish and was rejected as was its subsequent replacement!!
Reply to
Andy

In message , Bob Hobden writes

Thanks Bob

Reply to
hugh

In message , Andy writes

+VAT
Reply to
hugh

On or around Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:36:19 -0000, "Andy" enlightened us thusly:

I still reckon the 4HP22 from the later rangies would go well in the TD5 things. Power and torque are less than the 3.9, so it ain't going to be overloaded. And converter-stall at just under 2000 revs looks about right for the beginning of such torque as a standard TD5 produces.

Granted, you woudn't get the electronic control - but I've never been that unimpressed with the traditional controls in the 4HP22.

The gearing on the TD5 disvoery I have, in 5th, is pretty much identical (judging by roadspeed and rev counters) as that on the 3.9 rangie.

Except for the fact that I want to keep the Rangie, I'd be tempted to try it as a conversion on my TD5. It's still an option even so, if I get problems with the box or clutch.

Only bugbear I can see is that it's possible that the flexplate for the later box might be different. Unlikely, though, as they're basically the same 'box. Would probably want to keep the T-box from the disco though, as I'm not sure what the effect of the BW viscous T-box would be on the traction control....

Reply to
Austin Shackles