Series 3 landrover steering lock stops

Hi Does any one know how to adjust the steering stops as I have a series 3 1977 LWB land rover which has had them set wrong by a previous owner so when I turn hard left the wheels scrape on the guard I have looked through some manuals and they vaguely imply how to do it but don't really tell you. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Reply to
warwick

Adjust the stop bolts so the distance between the top of the head of the bolt is 12.5mm from the seal retainer surface.

Or alternativly, untill it stops scraping on full lock.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

leave the stops off and fit offset wheels andd enjoy a better turning circle

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

Does anyone know of a website with a diagram or simlar. As I know it must be very simple I I could only find the correct bolt. I mean I know it on the steering apparently on the frount of the axle but I'm not sure where.

I have also heard that if it scrapes on the left wheel you ajust the right stop and vice vasa but that doesnt quite ring true is that correct?

Reply to
warwick

Depends on which edge of the wheel is scraping.

try this:

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The bolt you are after is one on the ring of bolts holding the oilseal that runs on the chromed swivel housing. Its the one that sticks out and has a lock nut on it. Same on both sides. Simplest is to adjust so that it does not rub rather than to the book value. JD

Reply to
JD

Cool thanks I Found one of them the other has been removed but it doesnt rub on that side any way Only problem is I managed to snap off the head of the bolt trying to ajust it. Hope fully nothing some locktite and 2 nuts wont fix. Does any one know exactly what size nuts and bolts I need to order as replacements?

Reply to
warwick

(snip) Without looking, I think they are 1/4 UNF about 35mm long. JD

Reply to
JD