Series 3 Overheating

How can I check if the water pump is working? New to Series and need lots o' help. Rover is dumping coolant into the overflow tank. I have a new Termostat and hoses and will replace on Tuesday. Just wanted to know how to check operation of water pump. Thanks in advance.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

If you are getting water dumped into the overflow tank, then it sounds like combustion gasses are getting into the cooling system. This most likely means a blown head gasket, cracked head or similar.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

Run the engine with radiator cap off, making sure it's warm enough for the thermostat to be open. You can usualy see the flow into the radiator top hose.

As regards dumping the water into the expansion bottle. "Offically" the water lever in the rad should be about 1/2in under the bottom of the neck that the cap fits on to. The expansion bottle should be something like 3/4 full. In reality these levels vary quite a bit and some trial and error is required to find out what levels your vehicle is happy with.

It's not unknown for the engine to dump water out of the overflow for no apprent reason and not do it again for ages, though regular overflowing needs to be investigated.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Not a lot that can stop the pump failing as it's got so few pieces - I'd start by looking elsewhere. Typically, the radiator is not circulating, the block is furred up, or some idiot has removed the thermostat & either not replaced it or put the wrong type (shape) in.

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Dunno but, also make sure you eliminate the Radiator cap. Many a goose chase has been had due to a radiator cap which is duff.

My money is on the Cylinder head gasket havig gone if it's not the Rad cap.

Other than that also check the rad isn't full of Mud / dead flies and leaves (outside not inside!)

Oh and if your really green to series It hasn't got a Rad muffler fitted ? Like a Black material fastneded over the grill?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Thanks all..... Removed thermostat housing today and found no thermostat. The radiator is full of crap as well. Radiator off for a proper cleaning at a shop. Will fit new hoses and thermostat when the radiator is returned from the shop. Can anyone tell me the proper spot for the o ring that came with the thermostat?

Reply to
Doug

The bin

Reply to
EMB

I'm assuming that this is a 2.25 petrol

Seals the top side of the thermostat to the outlet stub to the radiator.

Make sure that you have the correct thermostat - it should have a deep skirt which blanks off the bypass when the thermostat opens. If you have the commoner (other than for this model) 'stat without the skirt the bypass does not get blocked off. There is less than full flow through the radiator and overheating is possible.

Reply to
Dougal