Series III - sound proofing

You could always go for the cheapest option and wear earmuffs or even a Russian Hat with ear flaps. Pretend its the wife 'Droning on' then you'll go into a trance and forget about the noise until the word 'sex' is mentioned.

Works for me anyway........

Adrian Ford

Reply to
Adrian Ford

Hi

Grateful for advice on sound proofing a Series III 2.25 diesel. We are travelling to Scotland in December and the thought of 600miles on a motorway is not a pleasant one.

There is a kit available but costs £250 which is a bit steep. Has any one any advice of the most cost effective ways of reducing the noise other than wearing ear plugs? Where is the best place to put sound proofing for maximum effect? Is felt better than those stick on rubber squares.

thanks & regards Matt

Reply to
harry2111

I don't doubt that others have had success with felt. My experience with felts/carpet and the like is that it works wonderfully if you shove enough of it either side of the bulkhead. Unfortunately UK tends to have more than its fair share of rain. It didn't take long for the whole wagon to sink of mildew. I wasn't surprised by the felt outside the cab, but on a SIII 109 StatWag there are plenty of places for the water to get in, so the smell was bad inside too. (This of course also lead to more condensation and plagues of flies when the warmer weather arrived)

I went in search of something that didn't soak up water. Had a little success with low density expanded polystyrene but panicked a little about the fire hazard.

Then tried the yellow/tan coloured expanding aerosol foam (used around window frames in new buildings), but was amazed at how quickly that catches fire once cured.

I have settled for a fireproof version of the same stuff - it costs a fortune from ScrewFix. That stuff you can squirt just about anywhere. The first place I tried was the underside of the bonnet. Works well but with one problem. It's candy pink in colour! I am now terrified to break down at the roadside - who knows what sort of help I'll get with a bonnet looking like pink meringue. :-(

Best of luck, If I had my time again, I'd stick with felt but get the cab waterproof first.

Reply to
Andy Richardson

Matt wrote >

It should already have "door seals" around the edge of the bonnet if it's S111 diesel but if it isn't then fit some, makes a big difference (also works for a petrol too). Get some stick on soundproofing and do the top of the bulkhead and stick pads on every inside panel, where someone travelling in it whilst your driving, can feel vibration. If you can't afford the proper soundproofing pads then use Flashing tape as used by builders, heavy metal with a bitumen sticky side. Carpet in the back helps too.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I bought a soundproofing kit for my 2A 2.5 diesel (noiseier than a

2.25!) while at billing this year. Mine cost me £150. I wasnt sure wether i wanted to spend that much but some people were refusing to go anywhere in my landy as it was 'so bloody noisy', so i went for it!

It came with all the bits to do under the bonnet. the bulkhead and the floors/tunnel and seatbox (top and sides). with the exception of the floor mats and the seatbox top bits it it all sticky. Its like a couple of layers of diferent foamy stuff with a layer of ally in the middle. doesnt soak up water which is good. Some of it is shiney heat shielded stuff too.

It made a fair difference. in that you can hear each other talk now, and i can hear the radio!. Not sure if it was totally worth the money, but its definately a fair improvement! I havent got round to doing the seat box yet (need to fit a new one), and have a bit along the top of the bulkhead still lacking as their series3 kit doesnt quite fit a 2A as well as they promised it would.

I have also fitted a sheet of wood over the floor in the rear tub which has made quite an improvement too

Since i fitted the soundproofing my exhaust has got very very noisy so i cant really do a proper comparison of sound levels yet. I am currently enjoying the exhaust noise too much to change it :) I definately have much less engine noise now. I used to be able to hear diesel rattle but that has gone.

Reply to
Tom Woods

you'd be better off with a set of those Bose noise cancelling headphones :)

Reply to
Larry

Where can you get thoes sticky rubber squares from? My series 3 restoration project is geting to the stage where I can actualy start to think about seats, carpets and soundproofing! Has anybody tried thoughs kits on ebay? Seem to go for around £40 mark....? Thanks! Toby

Reply to
TVS

Woolies trim

seem to sell somesoundproofing stuff. not sure if thats the stuff youre after though?

Reply to
Tom Woods