Sound proofing a 2A diesel!

Just done a search for sound proofing and found some interesting stuff like the BJ Acoustics kits. These look very nice but pricey and it seems the fit may be a bit suspect? Any other opinions on these? I was interested in there 'Sound Barrier' kit at over £200 (ouch) but seeing if they would do one with out the lead lined bonnet. I've heard these do very little, at least on a TDi Defender anyway. Never thought much of 'felt' kits - other than the water problems, I had one for a mini and it didn't seem to make ANY noticeable difference! Woolies Trim do some nice roles of sound proofing, again a touch expensive at the top end of the price range - over £20 per Sq meter! I've nearly done 500 miles since new rings, big end shells and reconditioning the head but the noise over 50mph is scaring potential girl friends away! I *need* to get this sorted!! Thanks! Toby

Reply to
TVS

Don't bother. Stick to 40 and you will live longer. Besides which, that kind of girlfriend is probably not worth having ;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

In article , TVS writes

The problem with dampening vibration is that you need mass in the right places. Lead does it! There's no quick/inexpensive fix. Mind you, I wouldn't want to work under a lead-lined bonnet, chocks or otherwise.

Compare with hi-fi loudspeakers. You can have good, or loud, but rarely both. This is because stopping unwanted resonances (vibrations) in the speaker soaks up energy*.

The noise is inherent in the design of the vehicle. You can modify it, and reduce it a bit, but eliminating it would be very hard.

Upgrade to a Series II girlfriend - you know it makes sense!

Regards,

Simonm.

*I know there are other approaches, but they're not relevant here.
Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

I once bought a lead engine blanket that goes over the top of the engine and down between the engine and bulkhead. made exactly zero difference. I recently cut-up and put some soft rubber car mats over the transmission tunnel tight fitting between the levers and this made a noticable difference, this was on a 110 and it seems alot of noise was coming up through the thin rubber gearlever surround.

hope that helps a little.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I bought a kit to do mine with (2.5 diesel). I think it cost about £150 quid. It has made a bit of difference. It cut out the worst of the diesel rattle, and i just have a sorta background roar now. It made it possible to talk rather than shout when i was moving, but it is by no means quiet now! Unfortunately i now have a very noisy exhaust which has kinda made the soundproofing pointless! (may sort that in a few months)

It came with bits for the underside of the bonnet, and then the bulkhead, floors transmission tunnel and seatbox. I havent yet fitted the seatbox bits, but i think that when i do they will make a fiar bit of difference.

Its made of some funny stuff which has a layer of aluminium in the middle. I think its the same as the stuff that woolies trim sell.

Youre welcome to come over and have a look at it and see if you can hear the difference. I still have some bits that are off the car if you want to look at the mterial itself. But ita a bit of a pointless test with my exhaust like it is at the mo!.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Toby Hi,

May I suggest you contact Steve at

?

his direct e-mail address is his name with small letters AT noisekiller.co.uk

Tell him Pantelis from Greece has given you his e-mail address.

I am the distributor of noisekiller soundproofing kits for Greece so there is a connection with them, but their kits work extremely well on Discos, Range Rover Classic and Defender vehicles.

Take care and Merry Xmas Pantelis Giamarellos LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Yep a bit of matting over the transmission tunnel does make some difference. I used the old carpet from the back after I had replaced all that with carpet squares.

Reply to
Larry

I've been thinkng for a while about going down the scrappy and having a poke about what's used for cars - especially stuff like BMWs or mercs. A lot seem to have removeable soundproofing that you could make up something suitable from.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner

Thanks for the replies... I'm making sure that I pick one thats landy freindly this time around ;) Problem is, over 50mph is even making me feel dazed and confused! :S I'm planing on geting a load of expensive stuff from Woolies trim after they reopen in the new year and fiting it to just about every surface befor fiting carpet over the top. Then just have to hope my 90/110 type door seals (not yet fited) will keep the water out... I'll report back on the sucsess... well, on the sound proofing front anyway ;) Thanks! Toby

Reply to
TVS